*Archived* 1851/61 London Census

Archived content from closed or older discussion threads.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass

*Archived* 1851/61 London Census

Postby scorpio » Wed Sep 17, 2003 9:39 pm

If anyone could provide any information on:-

John William BUNN, born 1860, St.Margaret Westminster.
Emma BUNN, born 1825, Amersham, Bucks.
Sarah BUNN, daughter of Emma, born ? and ?.

I'd be very keen to hear about it. In particular, I'd like to establish their locations in 1851, and 1861, so if anyone should have access to census transcripts for either year I'd be very grateful for any information.

At present, all that I know is that Emma gave birth to John William at York Street Workhouse, St.Margaret Westminster, and that both John and Emma moved to Amersham shortly afterwards.

Dominic
scorpio

Postby annajl » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:13 pm

Couldn't find anything in the 1851 Census, but in the 1861 census I found the family living at 28 Admiral Terrace*, in the Westminster parish of St John the Evangelist, going by the surame Bun, not Bunn. They were lodging with a family called "Cough" (Head of family Fredric Cough).

Emma Bun, Age 31, Lodger, Born Buckinghamshire, Occupation Charwoman*
John Bun, Age 8 mo, Son, Born Westminster
Sarah Bun, Age 6, Daughter, Born Westminster

*Handwriting difficult to read, but I think that's what it says.

Hope this helps.

Anna
annajl

Postby annajl » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:14 pm

Bah, 2 years late with the reply! Ah well :lol:
annajl

Postby admin » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:20 pm

Hi Anna,

It's never too late - I'd not found them in 1861 until you gave me the tip off where to find them. Thanks for that. I'd begun to wonder if they'd left the country or something!

Dominic
admin
Site Admin

Postby annajl » Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:25 pm

That's Ok then :)

Any good at reading handwriting?
annajl

Postby admin » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:20 pm

Not where the style used on that census is concerned! :?
admin
Site Admin

Postby annajl » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:33 pm

Lol different census, but handwriting just as bad

I take it you have an Ancestry account?

If so, could you tell me what you think the occupation of herbert burton is on this image?

http://content.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?ht ... id=4068630

I have his occupation from a daughter's birth certificate as sea merchant's clerk in 1909, just checking I have found the right herbert burton in the census - there's so many burtons!
annajl

Postby admin » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:58 pm

I've just dragged it into photoshop and pulled the detail right up, and I would personally say that it's Tea Saleroom Clerk. I can't see a word anywhere with a leading T for comparison, but the bottom left tail of all the Ss crosses over the upright. If you compare the first letter of the first word, with the first letter of the second word, there's no crossing over and the tail kicks up. There's also a ~ on the upper line, where the Ss all cross the upright instead.

Also sounds a lot more plausible anyway - tea gets sold by merchants in salerooms, but ships and anything else to do with them is normally dealt with by brokers, and not normally in salerooms.
admin
Site Admin

Postby annajl » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:18 pm

Thanks - hopefully it's still the same guy anyway and tea merchants were heavily into shipping I believe.

It's been really difficult, Burton is such a common name, and there's another 3 or 4 herbert burton's in London of a similar age.

Having said that, tracing his wife has been even more difficult - her mother married twice in less than a decade and it looks like she also changed hir first name. The wife was born in between censuses, and she was baptised in london, born in Sussex. Very confusing.
annajl

Return to The Archive