No Father on Marriage Certificate

Archived content from closed or older discussion threads.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass

No Father on Marriage Certificate

Postby shelf08 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:51 pm

Hi,

Please can someone advise me if it is possible to search for a army rank number from 1924?

My Great Grandfather was called Frank Cross and he was a Gunner in the Royal Artilery - No 738154.

I am trying to trace any information as to who his parents were because unfortunately on his marriage certificate his father's name and profession were crossed out and although I hold information of another Frank Cross and his family I want to try and confirm I am on the right tracks.

My Great Grandfather was 20 years old at Marriage in June 1924 in East Sussex. My Grandad told me his mother had told him Frank Cross was blown up with a grenade in WW2 whilst serving in the Army but I cannot trace this army number anywhere. I have information from my Grandfather's birth certificate that Frank Cross was a General Labourer and this is 1932.

Maybe Frank Cross left the army to raise a family and then got called up during WW2?

The family of Frank Cross I currently have is shown on the Commonwealth Website as having been buried in Chittagong at the age of 41 in 1944 and his parents were Robert John Cross and Fanny Cross (I also have a copy of his birth certificate showing this but there appears to be a mistake on the webpage). This Frank Cross was born in Surrey. My reasons for doubt it is him are that the Marriage Certificate shows him as being married in Sussex and also his army number is totally different. I am going on assumption that having been called up he was given a different army number and that because Surrey/Sussex are next door, it is probably the same one.

Is there any way of being able to trace him?

Thanks in advance.

Michelle
shelf08

Re: No Father on Marriage Certificate

Postby Alec » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:20 pm

Hi Michelle

The National Archives http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/ hold the Army record upto 1922

After 1922 records are still held by the Ministry of Defence Veterans UK http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_rec ... cords.html

shelf08 wrote:Hi,

I am trying to trace any information as to who his parents were because unfortunately on his marriage certificate his father's name and profession were crossed out and although I hold information of another Frank Cross and his family I want to try and confirm I am on the right tracks.

Who crossed it off and why? What is it has been crossed out? If you cant read it you'll need to purchase a new one

The family of Frank Cross I currently have is shown on the Commonwealth Website as having been buried in Chittagong at the age of 41 in 1944 and his parents were Robert John Cross and Fanny Cross (I also have a copy of his birth certificate showing this but there appears to be a mistake on the webpage). This Frank Cross was born in Surrey. My reasons for doubt it is him are that the Marriage Certificate shows him as being married in Sussex and also his army number is totally different. I am going on assumption that having been called up he was given a different army number and that because Surrey/Sussex are next door, it is probably the same one.

It sounds to me as if you have two Franks there not one with two army numbers and two counties
Alec

Forums need to be visited regularly and should be living things full of lively members not absent strangers!
Alec

Postby shelf08 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:01 pm

Hi Alec,

Thanks for your reply.

I will try searching under those websites and see if I can find out some information.

In response to the name on the marriage certificate, the father to my Great-grandfather has a diagonal line through both his name and profession, I don't know why but it appears the Registrar did it.
shelf08

Postby peterd » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:11 pm

Please can someone advise me if it is possible to search for a army rank number from 1924?

My Great Grandfather was called Frank Cross and he was a Gunner in the Royal Artilery - No 738154.

have you got any medals with his army no on as they very rarely get it wrong

My Great Grandfather was 20 years old at Marriage in June 1924 in East Sussex.

if you have the marriage certificate and it gives you an address there a chance he living with parents, if you ask east sussex for a list of people from that address before, on or after 1924 you might get lucky here there web site they might make a small charge but might be worth it

http://www.eastsussex.gov.uk/libraries/ ... isters.htm

My Grandad told me his mother had told him Frank Cross was blown up with a grenade in WW2 whilst serving in the Army but I cannot trace this army number anywhere. I have information from my Grandfather's birth certificate that Frank Cross was a General Labourer and this is 1932.

Maybe Frank Cross left the army to raise a family and then got called up during WW2?

Is there any way of being able to trace him?

Thanks in advance.

Michelle

good luck pete hope it helps
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Return to The Archive