*Archived* Holmes 1840's

Archived content from closed or older discussion threads.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass

*Archived* Holmes 1840's

Postby [email protected] » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:42 pm

I have a Gt Gt Gt Grandfather, George John Holmes, born in 1844 in Westminster, London. Vine Street (near present day Milbank to be precise).

The birth was registered by his mother, Hannah Holmes (formerly Stacey). She was born in 1807 / 1812 depending which census entry you believe, although I think from parish records it was 1807, in Biggleswade, Bedfordshire. The father was listed as George Holmes, a labourer and sawyer.

The problem comes that in 1851, Hannah was a widow living with her young son, George John. 1841 doesn't tell me much, but there is a George Holmes living as a labourer in that area but he is unmarried. I can't find any listing of a George Holmes marrying a Hannah Stacey during that 1837 - 1845 period, nor are there any obvious George Holmes marrying Hannah's of any name that stand out as obvious or from that area. Furthermore, I can't find an obvious death for a George Holmes in Westminster / Pancras during 1845 - 1851 although I have ordered quite a few certificates, they have so far drawn a blank.

How likely is it that Hannah could have been an unmarried mother and invented her marriage to the either fictional or perhaps real father George Holmes to hide the shame ?? It would seem a possible answer but I've not come across it before which makes me think even in the days before computerised records, this may still have been quite difficult.

What other records might I be able to check to find these people ??

Many thanks

Guy
[email protected]

Re: Holmes 1840's

Postby Alec » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:12 pm

Hi Guy

I suspect this is your fellow and from the entry it is clear that his mother's name is Holmes
-This entry can be for a late, eg December, 1844 birth and not necessarily 1845

Births Mar 1845
Surname Given Name District Volume Page

HOLMES George John Westminster 1 419
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alec

Forums need to be visited regularly and should be living things full of lively members not absent strangers!
Alec

Postby admin » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:01 pm

Hi Guy,

[email protected] wrote:How likely is it that Hannah could have been an unmarried mother and invented her marriage to the either fictional or perhaps real father George Holmes to hide the shame ??

Extremely. My gggrandmother did exactly the same thing when she gave birth in the same area in 1860. She was at St.Margaret Westminster workhouse at the time and used the father's real christian name, with her own surname for the father's name on the birth certificate.

Dominic
Dominic
Genealogyforum.co.uk webmaster and administrator
admin
Site Admin

Postby [email protected] » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:14 pm

Many thanks for the responses. I felt that this may have happened and there may be no way to find George's father. His mother certainly kept on the pretence of being married under the name of Holmes for the rest of her life, so I'll give her the benefit for now and keep looking for some sort of marriage.

A child born in 1844 and named after his father, so I'd assume it was the first child, which makes it slightly more baffling that there marriage isn't recorded. Registrations began at least 6 or 7 years before.

I'll keep looking but thanks once again

Guy
[email protected]

Postby Northern Lass » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:49 pm

Just flagging this to see if we can now move it to the archived section ? :?

So unless otherwise advised this topic will be moved to archived section within 24 hrs

:wink:
Northern Lass

Return to The Archive