Help with Crook Family Preston area

Archived content from closed or older discussion threads.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass

Help with Crook Family Preston area

Postby Tony Wappel » Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:05 pm

Hello Everyone,

Joining from the US. Have been researching since 1977 when I was just 14 years old. The internet sure has made things easier!! But, I am still stumped with some of my English ancestors. My 3rd great grandfather, William Crook, was born in Brindle/Withnell, Lancashire in 1811 to Thomas & Elen Crook. My mystery is what is Elen's maiden name? The Crooks, I believe were mostly Catholic (but have found records elsewhere). I have checked the Catholic Record Society publications as well as other public record sites to find out that William is the son of Thomas and Elen. (I already knew this! :P ) So I've tried another route. Two of William Crook's siblings married in Preston. One was Mary Ann Crook (born abt 1815) married Roger Dilworth (b abt 1814) in Preston in 1838. Also, a sister, Bridget Crook (b. 1815) married John Woodcock (b 1811) in Preston in 1834. Would it be possible for someone to check these two marriage records to see if they list the mother's maiden name? Also, Mary Ann Dilworth did stay in Preston and died in 1885. Would her death record show her mother's maiden name? Finally, are there any genealogies that include Roger Dilworth, perhaps showing his wife's parents? Thank you so much for any and all leads.

Tony Wappel
Tony Wappel

Re: Help with Crook Family Preston area

Postby peterd » Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:04 pm

Hi tony welcome to the forum
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby mallosa » Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:27 pm

Hiya Tony & Welcome :wave:
If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
mallosa

Postby Frodo » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:44 pm

I have been researching the Dilworths on Ancestry as I am descended from them on my mother's side but have been unable to verify facts about Mary Ann. I have had a hint appear that I haven't added for the 1841 Census. It has a Mary Crook living in Bolton le Moors with parents named Peter and Margaret The age is about right but as it's Mary not Mary Ann I have not yet added it. I have looked and there are several siblings but not a Bridget.
Frodo

Postby Tony Wappel » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:14 am

Thanks for the Welcomes,

Frodo, There is an 1841 Census Record for a Roger Dilworth and Mary Ann living in Preston. Pretty sure that is Mary Ann Crook. I sent you a pm with a link in case you needed it.

Tony
Tony Wappel

Postby Northern Lass » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:49 am

welcome :grin:
Northern Lass

Postby SRD » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:18 am

Welcome to the forum Image
We like to keep this section for simple introductions so I've copied the relevant posts to The General Discussion section where it will generate more traffic.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Return to The Archive