Researching Amelia Cooksey nee Portman & family

Archived content from closed or older discussion threads.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass

Researching Amelia Cooksey nee Portman & family

Postby Lynne House » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:21 pm

I am researching my grandfather George Cooksey (1879-1979)and his family. His parents were Amelia Portman and her husband John Cooksey (1854-1918) who came from the Rowley Regis/ Halesowen area and moved up to Yorkshire along with several family members.

1) I have dates of birth for Amelia Portman ranging from 1858/9 to 1861, with documentary evidence to support all of them (the majority supporting 1861). In each case they appear to have married John Cooksey. So, which date of birth is accurate?
I noticed there are two Amelia Portmans on the Black Country Connections website, I am not sure which is my relative. I wondered if Jan and mumbles who are on BCC and have added a comment about Amelia Portman could help clarify this for me.

2) I have found quite a lot of documents which support Amelia's parents as Thomas Portman 1833-1915) and Sarah Siveter (1838-1909). However, some sources, including BCC, agree on James Portman (b 1838) and Mary Ann Tickle (b 1834) being her parents. The evidence is pointing two ways so I am unsure who her parents are. Given the discrepancies for her date of birth, I'm hesitant to try to find a copy of her birth certificate.

I would be grateful for any suggestions which might clarify some of this.

Thanks

Lynne
Lynne House

Re: Researching Amelia Cooksey nee Portman & family

Postby grangers14 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:33 pm

Hello Lynne,
I hope you enjoy the forum and our company! Glad you joined us!
I will let mumbles and Jan you are here and possible connection! :)
grangers14

Postby SRD » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:03 am

Welcome to the forum Image

We like to keep this section for simple introductions so I have copied your post to the Black Country section where it should generate more traffic. Please keep all further genealogical discussion to that post.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Postby peterd » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:11 pm

hi lynne welcome to the forum
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Return to The Archive