Not Being Able to Find Records

Archived content from closed or older discussion threads.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass

Not Being Able to Find Records

Postby scottscott78 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:41 pm

Hi,

I am currently using a trial membership of Ancestry.co.uk and as such it have given me access to the Births, Wedding and Deaths along with the Census's. The problem is that I am searching for my Grandads details and they are not there. I know his name, date of birth and date of death but there is no record of his birth anyway. I need this to be able to find his mothers maiden name as well as to complete the blanks in my tree. The details I have so far are as follows.

Edward Henry Saunders Born (21/2/1926 in Birmingham)
Died 29/7/1984 in Birmingham

I have found the death but thats it.

What other suggestions are there for finding out dates, indexes and other such stuff other than using premium searched like ancestry.co.uk etc.

Thanks

Scott
scottscott78

Re: Not Being Able to Find Records

Postby Iamme! » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:05 pm

Hi Scott

You're lucky to find what you have. I have failed to find many entries after about 1915. There are lots of gaps.

Did you know that you can access B's M's and D's at: "freebmd.org.uk" without Ancestry Membership.

Howard
Iamme!

Re: Not Being Able to Find Records

Postby Celia » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:02 pm

Scott

You need to look on the findmypast.com site. The trouble with Ancestry and Free BMD is that the index is not complete for the twentieth centruy and anything past about 1915 is not curently worth using. The findmypast site is complete although the down side is that for this site you will not be able use a search engine but will need to search through year by year and quarter by quarter. You should find him though and it will be worth it. You can buy units rather than a subscription and see how you get on

Celia
Celia

Return to The Archive