New member - Smoggie - researching my surname LESTER.

Archived content from closed or older discussion threads.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass

Postby smoggie » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:50 am

If you are from NE England you may know that a smoggie is from Middlesbrough :roll:
Not now living in the 'Boro, and ancestors come mainly from the West Midlands area - Dudley/ Sedgley / Bilston / Kingswinford / Wednesbury, and other near places. I think they may followed the iron trade in the industrial revolution, and gradually moved that way to the North of England to Middlesbrough.
I have got back to the 1760's, and am stuck. I have some info that my ancestor Thomas LESTER (b ca.1732, Wednesbury) married Elizabeth Hall (b ca 1736, Bilston), and had 7 children. The main LESTER line runs through son Samuel LESTER (b1765, Dudley), but I am trying to find info on 2 other sons (John LESTER - or LISTER, b1767 Wednesbury) and Michael LESTER (b1768 Wednesbury), as I have 2 possible wives for each of them. Any help / advice on how to 'firm up' their correct wives would be really helpful. I am not in UK at present, but I am planning a visit in November to Dudley registry office to try and find info that way, but any info or help in what to look for before then would be great.
Thanks in advance,
smoggie

Re: New member - Smoggie - researching my surname LESTER.

Postby SRD » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:52 am

Welcome to the forum. Image

We like to keep this section for simple introductions so I've copied your post to The Black Country Section where it may generate more replies.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Postby rockyfowler » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:03 pm

Welcome to the forum :grin:
“You know you’re getting old when you stoop to tie your shoelaces and wonder what else you could do while you’re down there.” ― George Burns
rockyfowler

Postby Northern Lass » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:05 am

Welcome see you in the BC section we can help you try and crack this ...hopefully :wink:
Northern Lass

Postby peterd » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:06 am

Welcome to the forum smoggie
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby grangers14 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:03 pm

Hi Smoggie,
Middlesbrough is very near to where I live and my family also moved here as yours did. I hope you enjoy the forum and our company.
Jo :)
grangers14

Return to The Archive