Hello

Archived content from closed or older discussion threads.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass

Hello

Postby kjiwizard » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:37 pm

Hello from me Kelvin Inge. I'm looking for advice regarding a very old version of Family Tree Maker - some 20 years old. When I bought this I had to upload a CD and then start recording. A later computer allowed me to run the disc and I was able to transfer the data from the old to the new.

However my latest computer runs windows 8.1 and after a problem with Sony Picture Message I am reluctant to use this old disc as I have only just retrieved all the other files. I have not attempted to install FTM at all as a result. Currently the data is sitting on a memory stick as my new (now old) computer went kerplunk!

Does anyone know if I were to buy the Windows 8 version whether I can import the my data from the stick without problems please?

Many thanks

Kelvin
kjiwizard

Re: Hello

Postby peterd » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:56 pm

hi kelvin, welcome to the forum,

if you info is on a gedcom file then you would need to check if the new software supports them types of files, most family tree software run on a gedcom, do an internet search for ( gedcom software window 8) some free ones try your file out on them before buying software ?

pete
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby SRD » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:30 am

Welcome to the forum, we like to keep this section for simple introductions so I've copied the thread to Software in the General Discussion section where you should get more information.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Postby grangers14 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:33 am

Hi Kelvin,
I hope you enjoy the forum and our company.
Jo :)
grangers14

Return to The Archive