Horace BAILEY

Archived content from closed or older discussion threads.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass

Horace BAILEY

Postby Minska » Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:59 pm

Hi

I am searching for great grandfather (my mum's mum's dad).

His name is Horace BAILEY. He was born on the 28th of September 1898 in Birmingham, Warwickshire. (date of birth sourced from his military records.)

His birth was never registered, nor was he christened - apparently mum was ill and dad was away in military and they 'never got round to it' (source: the eldest of his 4 children).

His father's name is William Henry BAILEY (source: Horace's marriage certificate)

According to my great aunt, Horace had a brother, John, a sister, Winifred, and a half brother (younger) called Charles.

Horace married Doris Margaret Kate HOARE on 26 December 1924 in Essex.

I have found 1 possibility on 1901 census, but i'm not convinced it's him (gut instinct) - A Horace S Bailey - born 1900. but, if my maths is correct - Horace should be about 1 yr to 18mths. On this one he's only 6months? - should i run with it?

Roz
Minska

Re: Horace BAILEY

Postby Alec » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:48 pm

:) Hi Roz

This is such an old post it needs updating before I or anyone can help -if you're still a member!

Be specific - What do you NOW know, what are you NOW looking for and WHO in particular?

If you are still a member -IF! -please reply.

Alec

Forums need to be visited regularly and should be living things full of lively members not absent strangers!
Alec

Postby Minska » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:49 pm

Dear Alec,

I have posted in so many places that I’d forgotten about this one.

Here is all the information I have and the sources, followed by a list of questions/problems.

Facts

Name: Horace BAILEY

Date of birth: 28th September 1898 (source: Military paperwork)

Place of birth: Birmingham, Warwickshire (source: Military paperwork)

Marriage: He married Doris Margaret Kate HOARE, on 26th December 1924. His occupation is that of Mariner (Navy), living at Chatham Barracks, Kent. He gives the name of his father as William Henry BAILEY (occupation: gas fitter). One of the witnesses in a J H Bailey (possibly Jack?) – (source: Marriage certificate)

Date of death: 5th February 1964

Place of death: Chatham, Kent

He enlisted in the marines on 12th April 1916 and was discharged 22 September 1945.

Information I am in the process of following up and some more background information

The following information I have received from my great aunt, who happens to be the eldest of 4 children to Horace and Doris BAILEY.

ï‚  Horace had a brother, Jack/John (possibly John Henry) and a sister, Winifred. (I hopefully have the birth and death certificate for John on order)
 Horace’s birth was never registered, because apparently his mother was ill and his father was serving away in the military and they ‘never got round to it’. And apparently a few years prior to his death, Horace went to the records office with his son, Ken, to (I believe) find his birth certificate for his pension (or something similar) with no luck. Nor was Horace christened/baptised
ï‚  The mother of Horace, Jack and Winifred died when they were young and they went to live with an Aunty Annie, prior to being sent to a school in Malvern for children of serving service personnel.
ï‚  The father later went on to re-marry, a lady called Ada Punter, a widow herself with at least 3 children. They went onto have a son, Charles Robert Bailey in 1919. Charles sadly lost his life in WW2 and is buried in El Alamein.
 Prior to his marriage in 1924, Horace gave his next of kin as a Mrs A Bailey – his step mother.

Current problems with research

ï‚  I am yet to find a name for the mother of Horace. I am hoping the certificate I have on order for Jack with hold clues. Any ideas?
 I have searched the 1901 census, as Horace was born in 1898 – and found nothing that I could follow up.
 How can I find out if Horace’s father was in the military?
ï‚  When did his father remarry?

My primary research at the moment is finding information about the immediate family of Horace.

Hope this is more useful

Roz
Minska

Postby Alec » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:36 pm

Hi Roz

At this stage I'd say 'Wait for the Certificates' when they arrive you'll know the situation better then add it to you query and help will be easier
Alec

Forums need to be visited regularly and should be living things full of lively members not absent strangers!
Alec

Return to The Archive