New genealogist and bound to have tough questions!

Archived content from closed or older discussion threads.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass

New genealogist and bound to have tough questions!

Postby YorksClare » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:43 pm

Hi All

I am Clare, and I have been trying to continue some genealogy that my grandmother started some 30 years ago. Sadly she died 17 years ago so I cannot ask her anymore for connections or recollections to name the random unknown people in photos, or explain how certain links meet. So I may have to start asking complicated questions about how to reconnect the dots! :?

I have to try to find out the point where my great-grandfather, James Gibbs born 1877, relates to a Robert Gibbs who moved to Canada in 1912 aged about 24. I cannot even find convincing entries that match what I know for sure of the family in the 1881 or 1891 census data stored in the LDS records. All I have found is that James was living in Bradford, West Yorkshire, in 1911. I even know the address, and that there was another James Gibbs living with his family in the same street. I have yet to discover whether they were related or not.

So you can see I have a lot of work to do!

All in all, I am looking at four family names. Walshes based in Kilkenny in Ireland (I know - find a Smith in London!) at around the 1840-1890 period, Worthington last known in Kerry in Ireland around the same time, Gibbs that help me link the conundrum above, and any Hodkinsons in Kendal/Cumbriad in general, Lancashire or Wales. I think I have the pertinent ones in Wales, but linking them is the key bit. There are three strangers in a photo from my parents' wedding, and I have to get the names sorted out beyond "Aunt Susie" or "Great Uncle George" sort of thing, before all the people who genuinely know which is which pass on...

Once Bradford Central Library is back up to proper research capacity, I will be able to get stuck into this a bit more, and hopefully help others whose searches draw them this way. Please let me know!
YorksClare

Re: New genealogist and bound to have tough questions!

Postby peterd » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:20 pm

Hi Clare, welcome to the forum
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby snoopysue » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:06 am

Sounds like you're going to be busy!
Welcome to the forum :-)
Snoopysue

Logic merely enables one to be wrong with authority.
snoopysue

Postby Northern Lass » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:05 am

Welcome to the forum :grin:
Northern Lass

Postby SRD » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:11 am

Welcome to the forum. I've copied your original post to the General Discussion forum where people may be able to help.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Postby Maths girl » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:33 pm

Hi Clare and welcome to the forum

Maths girl
Maths girl

Postby grangers14 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:16 pm

Hi Clare,
I hope you enjoy the forum and our company.
Jo :)
grangers14

Return to The Archive