Hello - I'm new here.

Archived content from closed or older discussion threads.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass

Hello - I'm new here.

Postby davidblackshoes » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:54 pm

Hello
I'm new to the forum and happy to be here.
Thank you!

Here's a little bit about my interests:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
My family surnames (England) are Hodgetts, Price, Cooper.
Worcestershire. Mainly Oldbury Halesowen Warley areas.

My Scotch Irish side is Bell and Knipe. Very difficult to trace though so I'm concentrating on my English ancestors.
More specific: my great grandfather was Harry Hodgetts b. 5 MAR 1863 Halesowen
m.
Amplias Price b. 1867 Oldbury.
Both died Pluckemin NJ USA (New Jersey is where I live).
Great grandfather Harry was murdered on the family farm 29 AUG 1896.
Great grandmother Amplias died 1929 - Pluckemin NJ also.
m. in Pluckemin Somerset County NJ DEC 1899-- all three daughters born there/here as well.
They're both buried in our family plot, along with their three children (Hodgetts, Jenness, Bell [I am a Bell; my father is Harry & Amplias' only grandchild]).

Coopers are Clara (Harry Hodgetts' sister) m. Joseph Cooper
Children: Elsie Mary, Edith May Joseph, and Doris Marian.
All remained in England; the Cooper girls wrote to their (first) cousins and Aunt Amplias here in NJ, and sent photos too. Clara and two of the girls were living on Pound Ln Warley in 1891 and 1911 - the other sister was living at Maxstoke Castle in 1911 (employed there by the Tangye family).
Brother Joseph (b. 1891; 3 mos old in 1891 census) died before 1911 -- haven't been able to find out where or when exactly. (1911 census: mother Clara had 4 children / 3 living).

There are other unidentified relatives (non-Coopers) in the photos; a good assumption they are Hodgetts'. Black Country also.
I will eventually identify them (as I did with the Cooper girls, through researching the families).
---------------------------------------------------------
I'm hoping I can find a place here to share the photos in case someone down the road finds they are their ancestors as well and would like to see them.
England - Black Country: Hodgetts, Price, Cooper
Oldbury, Halesowen, Warley area

Scotland & Ireland (Ballymena, Antrim): Bell, Knipe - Also McKee, Johnstone, Crawford, Neil
davidblackshoes

Re: Hello - I'm new here.

Postby peterd » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:06 pm

Hi david welcome to the forum
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby Maths girl » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:12 pm

Hi David and welcome to the forum

Maths girl
Maths girl

Postby Antie Em » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:22 pm

Hello David - welcome to the Forum

I have two Amplias Price, born around the same time, connected to my husband's family

Amphlis Price, born abt 1866, Warley Wigorn, daur of William Price and Rebecca Slim, on BCC site here : http://bcconnections.tribalpages.com/tr ... onnections

and

Amplis Price, born abt 1867, Warley, Daur of Aaron Price and Sarah Ann Goodwin, on BCC here : http://bcconnections.tribalpages.com/tr ... onnections

her sister Alice is my husband's gr grandmother

Maggie
There's no place like home ......
Antie Em

Postby davidblackshoes » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:27 am

Antie Em wrote:Hello David - welcome to the Forum

I have two Amplias Price, born around the same time, connected to my husband's family

Amphlis Price, born abt 1866, Warley Wigorn, daur of William Price and Rebecca Slim, on BCC site here : http://bcconnections.tribalpages.com/tr ... onnections

and

Amplis Price, born abt 1867, Warley, Daur of Aaron Price and Sarah Ann Goodwin, on BCC here : http://bcconnections.tribalpages.com/tr ... onnections

her sister Alice is my husband's gr grandmother

Maggie

Maggie, I believe then your husband and I are related!
If I read the trees correctly, your husband's 'Amplis' /gr grandmother and my 'Amphlis' /gr grandmother(her correct spelling is Amplias) were first cousins.
I have some photos of my Amplias. Also, her husband Harry Hodgetts (my gr grandfather), taken 1896 here in NJ after their immigration and marriage. (they knew each other in Oldbury Halesowen Warley area and she followed him to the US to marry him, per my grandmother).
Amplias also returned to Warley in 1926 to see her family again.

I also have photos of the Cooper nieces (related to Amplias through Harry's sister Clara who married Joseph Cooper) and in one of the photos, Lizzie Dearne and Harry Dearne are identified. I believe the Dearnes are part of your family also ? I think I saw them on your family tree.
I have many photos of unidentified relatives - some with first names such as Arthur and Frank etc, and maybe we can put names to these faces now with the help of your tree at BBC.
Thank you!
Is there a place I can publicly post the photos of Amplias, Harry, etc here so you can see them?
If so, I appreciate the nudge in the right direction, and just let me know what (who) you're interested in seeing (there are quite a few).
Amy

Scotland & Ireland (Ballymena, Antrim): Bell, Knipe - Also McKee, Johnstone, Crawford, Neil
davidblackshoes

Postby mallosa » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:06 am

Amy, whilst you're waiting for Maggies reply, can I just point you to the Family Albums section in our Gallery on this site....

http://www.genealogyforum.co.uk/forum/g ... lbum_id=18

We have a 'PRICE FAMILY ALBUM' http://www.genealogyforum.co.uk/forum/g ... bum_id=158

and also a 'COOPER FAMILY ALBUM' - http://www.genealogyforum.co.uk/forum/g ... lbum_id=90

Just send me a pm if you wish to add your photos to any of them :grin:
If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
mallosa

Postby davidblackshoes » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:23 am

mallosa wrote:Amy, whilst you're waiting for Maggies reply, can I just point you to the Family Albums section in our Gallery on this site....

gallery/album.php?album_id=18

We have a 'PRICE FAMILY ALBUM' gallery/album.php?album_id=158

and also a 'COOPER FAMILY ALBUM' - gallery/album.php?album_id=90

Just send me a pm if you wish to add your photos to any of them :grin:

:grin:
I am thrilled!
Yes indeed I would love to add to them!
Since there isn't a Hodgetts album, I'll put Harry's in with his wife's (Amplias Price) family. Is that good with you?
PMing you now
:grin:
Thank you!
Amy
PS are we related too??? :)

davidblackshoes

Postby Antie Em » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:31 am

Hello Amy

I have been working on the Dearne/Price/Fox tree for a number of years and although I have all the information on my PC, I haven't added everything to the BCC tree. I should have said, that this is my ex husband's tree, and I'm no longer in contact with him. I did stay in touch with his mom though, a lovely lady who I thought very highly of. Unfortunately, she passed away last year, but I know she would have loved to have heard from you. She is the daughter of Violet Fox and George Leonard Blundell.

Most of the information I have on this tree is from the little church in George Road, which is still there, but has had a change of name. My ex's brother in law is the pastor there, so the family is still very connected. The church is very old and if you lived in Warley (as I still do) you were baptised, married and buried there, so it was really easy to get all the information I needed from the records now held in Smethwick Archives. The other church which was used in the area is Quinton Church, but because we were on the Worcestershire/Warwickshire boundary, the records for this church are now held in Birmingham Archives.

http://www.kcchurch.co.uk/life-at-kcc/youth.php

The blonde guy on the top row is my nephew James (Jay)

I can't find a picture of the church, I'll try and pop in today and get one for you.

There is an excellent site you may want to look at for Quinton, where many of the locals appear on. The Quinton Church School records are on this site. A lovely school, still in use, two of my grandchildren attend there.

http://www.qlhs.org.uk/

If there is any more information not on the BCC tree, please ask.

Maggie
Antie Em

Postby SRD » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:13 am

Oy you lot, new members I can understand not knowing our little ways, and I know enthusiasms can run away with you, but there are enough reminders that we like to keep this section for simple introductions only. :roll:

Now I'm going to have to severely prune this thread, copy it to the Black Country section and then go back to my early morning tea so unless anyone's offering to take over the modding here get your chat back into the right place! 8)

Oh, by the way, welcome to the forum. :lol:
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Postby Northern Lass » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:15 am

Hi Amy welcome to the forum

Your post is now in the Black Country GEnealogy section and I have stickied it and renamed it
so need you in there gal cos I got questions:wink:
Last edited by Northern Lass on Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Northern Lass

Postby grangers14 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:02 pm

Hello Amy,
glad you joined us. I hope you enjoy the forum and our company.
Jo :)
grangers14

Postby Antie Em » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:06 pm

SRD wrote:Oy you lot, new members I can understand not knowing our little ways, and I know enthusiasms can run away with you, but there are enough reminders that we like to keep this section for simple introductions only. :roll:

Now I'm going to have to severely prune this thread, copy it to the Black Country section and then go back to my early morning tea so unless anyone's offering to take over the modding here get your chat back into the right place! 8)

Oh, by the way, welcome to the forum. :lol:

Thanks SRD :wink: :wink:
Antie Em

Postby mallosa » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:14 pm

Sorry SRD, I promise not to do it again :silent:
If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
mallosa

Postby snoopysue » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:27 am

Hi
Welcome to the forum :-)
Snoopysue

Logic merely enables one to be wrong with authority.
snoopysue

Return to The Archive