Name changes

Archived content from closed or older discussion threads.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass

Name changes

Postby tania.grigg » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:05 am

Can anyone explain why my ancestor may have dropped an 'S' in his surname. Prior to his move to Bristol, the surname always appears as OWENS but once in Bristol it only appears as OWEN. Is this common. I am sure it is the same family as I have checked and rechecked and there is no record of the name OWEN (singular) in the area he lived.
tania.grigg

Postby snowwhite77 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:46 am

Could this be a spelling error?

My grandfather surname was spelt incorrectly down the line and his had an A where previously there had been an E.
Also I know of a surname MacDougall where the A was dropped to become McDougall.

People were sometimes illiterate and relied on others getting it right for them. My Aunt was even name Janet where she should have been Janette due to my grandfather being a terrible speller.
snowwhite77

Postby apw6270 » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:14 pm

My great-grandmother was born Elizabeth Eleanor Williams, but she was known as Lizzie, her marriage certificate shows Elizabeth Helen, and her gravestone (Arnos Vale, Bristol) shows Elizabeth Ellen. :?

My stepfather has been looking for the ancestors of a friend of his, whose surname is Lawrence, but there are about four different spellings for the same people. :o

Also, one of his ancestors, Samuel, actually appears as Laura on a census! :shock:

Welcome to the world of making sense of BMD and census records. :wink:
apw6270

Postby Daredevil » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:31 am

Hi,

all your comments are very interesting. I found out yesterday that my Great Grandfather called himself Edmund Miller Loan, but his father called himself Thomas Miller. We all thought 'Loan' was Edmunds' middle name. However, my surname is now spelled Millar. So someone has been tinkering somewhere :shock: :D

Cheers

Ian
Daredevil

Postby Daredevil » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:38 pm

Daredevil wrote:Hi,

all your comments are very interesting. I found out yesterday that my Great Grandfather called himself Edmund Miller Loan, but his father called himself Thomas Miller. We all thought 'Loan' was Edmunds' middle name. However, my surname is now spelled Millar. So someone has been tinkering somewhere :shock: :D

Cheers

Ian

Further to my last comment....

If my Great Grandfather (Edmund Miller Lone / Loan) was born illigitametly (pardon the spelling), how can i find out if Thomas Miller, whom married Edmunds Mother 6 months later, was his real father? All very confusing. Edmunds mother Elizabeth named him Edmund Miller Loan in the birth registry but the father's name was ommitted, although he was illegitimate. Later, Edmund named himself Edmund Loan Millar. This is oh his death entry, and says ' (Formerly named Edmund Miller Loan) '.
Any idea's anyone? :)
Daredevil

Return to The Archive