Hello, looking for help with CASWELL/GUEST Kingswinford 1808

Archived content from closed or older discussion threads.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass

Hello, looking for help with CASWELL/GUEST Kingswinford 1808

Postby dcasglas » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:10 pm

Hello from Ireland,
Am delighted to find this forum and hope that someone will be able to help me solve a puzzle with my family tree. Was lucky enough to inherit the family bible which contained a full outline of the CASWELL family tree since 1808. Am looking to go back before that and there are some records on the online sites, but details are not clear, and as I know whats in the family bible since 1808, I know some of the online trees people have created in Ancestry etc. have incorrect details, so its not possible to rely on them.

What I do know for sure is that Joseph CASWELL married Esther (or Hester) GUEST in Kingswinford Parish Church on 5th Sept. 1808. He was a blacksmith, and they had a large family, born in Kingswinford/Brierley Hill or Cradley Heath. The family became heavily involved in the railways and a number of Joseph/Esther's children moved around the UK (Wolverton, London, Preston) before some of them settled in Dublin in Ireland at various stages during the 1800's, all working on the railways, many as boiler-makers. Overall, I am pretty happy with my records from that 1808 period onwards, and my focus is the period before that.

As I live in Ireland, I've only been able to visit the archives in Dudley on one occasion, but when I did, I came across some records that about a Joseph CASWELL that was born in Sedgley around 1781 to parents Henry & Hannah. I think this may be the next link in my family history, but so far, I haven't been able to be definitive about it. Reason for this is that there are a number of other records online for a Joseph CASWELL with a different birth date, normally 1786 or 1789, and/or different parents, and all from the same general area of Sedgley, Cradley Heath and Enville. There are also a number of Joseph CASWELL's in the 1841 census for the area which just adds a bit of further confusion. And as I am unable to visit the archives (even in normal times), I'm stuck with these contradictory online records.

So, I have a bit of a puzzle, which is difficult to solve from afar, on whether I have the correct record or not for Joseph CASWELL's parents or not, and I am hoping that someone will be able to point me in the right direction. If I can definitely establish that my ancestor Joseph's parents were Henry & Hannah CASWELL, this would be brilliant, as I will be able to go back a couple more generations because I found a number of records for these people when I was in Dudley archives.

In a nutshell, am hoping someone can give me some thoughts on how I can locate details for Joseph CASWELL prior to 1808.... many thanks in anticipation.
dcasglas

Re: Hello, looking for help with CASWELL/GUEST Kingswinford

Postby peterd » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:32 pm

Welcome to the Forum
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby gardener » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:15 pm

Hi and welcome
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Postby SRD » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:50 am

Welcome to the forum Image

We like to keep this section for simple introductions so I've copied the relevant posts to a new topic in the Black Country section where I'm sure more interest will be generated.

Can we keep this topic free of discussion please.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Return to The Archive