Hello and military question

Archived content from closed or older discussion threads.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass

Hello and military question

Postby carol524459 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:46 pm

Hello everyone
Thank you for letting me join your forum. I have been dabbling in genealogy off and on for many years but lockdown has given me time to do a lot more in-depth research.

I’m trying not to spread my research too wide so currently I am concentrating on trying to work through my own family brick wall.

It concerns my great grandfather Thomas Judd 1878-1944 who was a soldier in WW1 – I think he was in the Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment) 1897 - service no 5701, but as Thomas Judd is a common name I can’t be 100% sure.

While he was away in the war, in 1915, his wife Annie Judd appeared before Hertfordshire Borough Sessions and this was reported in the HERTFORDSHIRE MERCURY April 1915, page 5 – headlined HARD LABOUR FOR CHILD NEGLECT

Annie was tried for drunk and disorderly behaviour and long-term child neglect which led to my grandfather and his siblings being taken into Barnardo’s homes for the rest of their childhood.

In the newspaper report is this sentence "Inspector Melaniphy said the defendant’s allowance of 23s. a week had been stopped by the War Office on October 23.”

So this is my brick wall – I would really like to know
1 - What allowance would she be receiving in 1915 when Thomas Judd was serving in the war, and
2 - Why would it be stopped?
(The newspaper report says her husband Thomas was away at the Front and a letter I have from Barnardo’s also says Thomas was away at the war.)

Grateful for any thoughts anyone may have about helping me research this further please.

With thanks in anticipation.
Carol
PS please tell me if I am not following correct procedure for posting.
carol524459

Re: Hello and military question

Postby peterd » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:41 pm

Hi Carol, Welcome to the forum
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby carol524459 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:08 pm

Firstly, thank you 'Peterd' for your welcome. Very pleased to meet you.

Secondly, thank you so much 'Gardener' for your replies - the journal article is fascinating - the soldier record is accurate - Annie's maiden name was Wackett and the dates and address are correct - I'm simply gobsmacked at how quickly you found it and thank you so much for taking the trouble. It also gives me accurate info about his regiment so it's invaluable on so many counts.
Can I ask the source you consulted so I can add it as a reference for my tree.

Lovely to meet you too and I wish I'd found this forum so much earlier. Looking forward to reading more posts and maybe helping someone else in return.
carol524459

Postby gardener » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:09 pm

OK, so i can't message you, probably because you have only posted once. But I will when I can :-)
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Postby carol524459 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:22 pm

thanks Gardener - I don't know how to help you send me a message.
carol524459

Postby SRD » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:42 am

Welcome to the forum Image.

We like to keep this section for simple introductions so I've copied the topic over to the Military section where I hope further info can be made available.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Postby carol524459 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:51 pm

Thank you.
carol524459

Return to The Archive