Brick-Wall hiding Thomas family in Oldbury

Archived content from closed or older discussion threads.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass

Brick-Wall hiding Thomas family in Oldbury

Postby Delapre-Ron » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:16 pm

Hi, I have been researching my family tree since about 2005. So far, I have run what I would consider a successful project tracing much of my paternal and some of my maternal ancestry. The problem I have battled with from the start is my maternal grandmother’s family. My mother passed away when I was very young, and we lost contact with her parents in the 1950’s. I have now got to the point where I feel that I require help to try to break down the brick wall that prevents me progressing. Any information on the birth/marriage of Joseph Thomas born 1850 and his wife Elizabeth (not Tinsley) born 1850, both recorded as born in Oldbury would be very welcome.
My grandmother was Mary Thomas born 6th March 1886 (from the 1939 register). The 1911 census does include Mary's mother Elizabeth Thomas living at 39 Orchard Street, Oldbury. Please note that this census also includes Mary’s sister Hannah Knight who was a witness at my grandparent's wedding, tying the records and families together. Also, interesting to note from this record is that another one of Elizabeth Thomas’s daughters - Elizabeth Cronshaw marries the person that completed the form following the death of her husband James Cronshaw in WW1 Flanders 1915. This census contains more clues, it states that Elizabeth Thomas had been married for 40 years, unfortunately I do not know if that was up until her husband’s death or to 1911. Joseph died on the 20 July 1909.
Another piece of information from this census is that it states there are 5 surviving children who were – Hannah Thomas b 1850, Elizabeth Thomas b 1882, John Thomas b 1886, Mary Thomas b 1886 and William Thomas b 1887. These 5 are stated to be from a total of 17 children that were born to Elizabeth and Joseph. The 1901 Census records Elizabeth and Joseph and lists both of them as born in Oldbury, they were living in the same house along with 3 of their children and one grandson (actually listed as son).
Ron
Delapre-Ron

Re: Brick-Wall hiding Thomas family in Oldbury

Postby SRD » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:54 am

Welcome to the forum Image

We like to keep this section forsimple introductions so I've copied your post to the Black Country Section where it should generate more traffic.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Postby rockyfowler » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:49 am

Sorry you`ve been moved :oops: A lot of people choose not to introduce themselves to a machine and letters me included :P But good luck in your hunt Regards RF :thumbup:
“You know you’re getting old when you stoop to tie your shoelaces and wonder what else you could do while you’re down there.” ― George Burns
rockyfowler

Postby peterd » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:04 pm

hi ron, welcome to the forum
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby Delapre-Ron » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:02 pm

Thank you all for welcoming me to this forum. For anyone taking an interest I do have quite a bit more detail but nothing of significance or documented prior to the 1891 census, I just can't find anything convincing before that date. Ron
Delapre-Ron

Postby grangers14 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:16 am

Hi Ron,
I hope you enjoy the forum and our company. :)
grangers14

Return to The Archive