introduction

Archived content from closed or older discussion threads.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass

introduction

Postby Gammatech » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:01 pm

Hi all,
I have been dabbling on and off with family history for over 20 years. I transcribed part of the 1861 Great Yarmouth census as it wasn't available on FreeCen and I was searching there for an ancestor. - they chose to move to Loestoft! I got into writing the wealth of knowledge from my Mother down because my memory wont store it all and a computer seemed much better. Even though its not available any more I use PAF from the LDS church and use their Family search web site. I am pursuing the family BRETT and TUCKER so far all in London, NICE and PAGE in Essex, PLACE and WETHERELL in Suffolk and Norfolk respectively although both came down to London in the late 1800s No sign of any ancestors budging out of England apart from a line of MURRAY and even they gravitated to London.

One immediate problem I have is the description "institution" as the location in the 1841 census. Does this mean workhouse or asylum or is it more general to include lodging houses etc. I have found it used where there as few as 4 people at the address. I hope someone can help sort this out for me.

Hope to get on the board quite frequently,

Martin
Gammatech

Re: introduction

Postby SRD » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:42 am

Welcome to the forum Image

We like to keep this area for simple introductions so if you would like to post your query in the General Discussion section I'm sure someone will offer some answers.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Postby Northern Lass » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:59 am

Welcome :grin:
Northern Lass

Postby peterd » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:41 pm

hi martin, welcome to the forum
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Return to The Archive