Hello

Archived content from closed or older discussion threads.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass

Hello

Postby HertsAndMinds » Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:00 pm

My name is Mark and I have been researching my family tree off and on for about 5 years. The surnames that I have mainly looked at are Witchell and Wilbourn.

One mystery from my family tree which I may not find an answer to relates to my Grandfather on my Mothers side who grew up being looked after by an unmarried lady that he always referred to an 'Auntie'. According to his birth certificate she was his mother and the father is not specified. No one seems to know who his father was. I wondered if a DNA ancestry check might help, but seeing the 100s of 3rd, 4th and distant cousins etc I think it would need an expert and\or a lot of luck to deduce anything from this.

I have carried out a few small family research projects recently.
- My Grandfather wrote a fascinating autobiographical essay about the 45 years he spent working at sea and I have been looking to expand on that. At one time he sailed around the world on a tramp steamer and a vessel he sailed on was once scuttled in Holland during WWII.
- My Great Aunt successfully sued a National newspaper for libel in the 1930s for publishing a doctored picture of her to accompany an article about 'Unchaperoned holidays'. I have found accounts of the court case but unfortunately not the offending photo.
- My Dad wanted to locate a cousin who he last saw in the 1940s before she immigrated to Australia. Researching that branch of the family on an Ancestry web site, the web site connected me to another person researching some of the same people and through this I was able to contact the daughter of the cousin (The cousin has sadly passed away) and I have found that there are relatives coincidentally living in the same town as me.
HertsAndMinds

Re: Hello

Postby peterd » Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:02 pm

Hi Herts and minds welcome to the forum, have you tried uploading you dna to Gedmatch https://classic.gedmatch.com
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby HertsAndMinds » Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:28 pm

Hi PeterD,

Thank you for your suggestion. I have not tried uploading my dna to Gedmatch https://classic.gedmatch.com but I will look into it!
HertsAndMinds

Postby Northern Lass » Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:45 am

Welcome :grin:
Northern Lass

Postby SRD » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:09 am

Welcome to the forum Image
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Return to The Archive