So Confused

Requests for assistance with seemingly insurmountable problems!

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass, BC Wench

So Confused

Postby Pin0977 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:01 pm

I am so confused. My GG Grandmother is Mary Wood, father's name is William. However I can't confirm who her mother was or what Mary's actual birthdate is. She also has her birthplace as Liberton, Old Monkland and Lanarkshire on various different things

She was married twice, first husband surname was Young and then 2nd was Gray. On her 2nd wedding cert in 1867 she was 40 meaning she was born in 1827 and her parents are noted as William and Jane Elder/Elden. Mary is noted as a Widow which is correct.

There is a Poor Relief entry with all the correct details of her name, children's names and husband's name (she was a widower again by this point). This was in 1904 and she's 77 years old which means her birth year is 1833. Her parents on this are William and Jane McCulloch.

Her death certificate from 1909 states she was 70 meaning she would've been born in 1839. A whole 12 years after what is on her wedding certificate. Parents on this are William and Mary Irons!!

All details other than her age/DOB and parents names are correct and match up on everything so I have no idea how I can try and verify anything or find out who her Mother actually is.

Does anyone have any ideas or tips please??
Pin0977

Re: So Confused

Postby gardener » Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:43 pm

Hi
Have you found her in the census at all?
When was her first marriage, and what was her age then?
Age at death is often dodgy as it relies on the memory and knowledge of whoever supplies the information.
Age at marriage can be given to appear older or younger, to match that of the groom sometimes.
When were her children born?
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Return to Brick Walls