Martha and Martha Elliott

Requests for assistance with seemingly insurmountable problems!

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass, BC Wench

Martha and Martha Elliott

Postby Tempest » Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:56 pm

Hi all. Think I'm about to throw in the towel with this, my Brick Wall.....any advice greatly appreciated.
Martha DAY born 1868 in Hucknall Torkard, Nottingham and
George William ELLIOTT born 1870 in Sowe, Warwickshire
Married 26 Dec 1898.
One of their three children Martha Day ELLIOTT born 22 Aug 1895.
By the 1921 appear to have separated Martha is living at 55 Spring St, Hucknall with daughter Martha. Martha (mother and "Head") lists herself "Widowed" despite the fact her husband is definitely alive. Same 1921 census he lives with his Aunt on the next street, George St. Hucknall using now his middle name William ELLIOTT.
In fact William lives on, at 87 George St. until his death on 5 Mar 1949.

My brick wall is mother and daughter after 1921 there is a Martha ELLIOTT still living at 55 Spring St. on the electoral roll (not sure if its mother or daughter) but that's it.....Nothing more for the two of them, no marriage for daughter I can find, no death for either. My only thought is they emigrated, but can't find them.

Like I say I'm ready to call it a day
Tempest

Re: Martha and Martha Elliott

Postby Tempest » Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:41 pm

Two weeks and 85 views, makes me think I'm not going to progress this!
Tempest

Postby BC Wench » Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:01 am

I've been searching on and off over the past couple of weeks and like yourself I can't find anymore than you have on Martha Day Elliott and her mother Martha.

I have just found this, which you may already have:-

https://secure.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/R ... tails/2791
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Postby Tempest » Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:42 am

Hi BC, thanks for this, I was feeling quite lonely here on my thread. And thank-you for trying, at least you back up my frustration. I do have info about their son. Don't know whether you noticed my original post featured him, he was born John Thomas William Elliott, just as I posted it the very next search led me to his WWI story so I deleted it and amended my post.
regards
Tempest

Postby BC Wench » Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:35 pm

I did see your first post, that's when I started searching and as you hadn't mentioned John Thomas William Elliott in your second post, I thought that you had deleted the first post.

Reading the info on the link I gave from Nottinghamshire County Council Roll of Honour, there must have been quite some animosity between George William Elliott and his wife Martha.
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Postby Tempest » Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:08 am

Yes I picked up on that in his letter to the Newspaper. In the 1921 census she lists herself as “widowed” when she is clearly not! He is living in the next street in Hucknall
Tempest

Return to Brick Walls