Birth Mother - Hope you can help

Requests for assistance with seemingly insurmountable problems!

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass, BC Wench

Birth Mother - Hope you can help

Postby Jimbobritt! » Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:00 pm

Hi all

My wife was adopted in 1970 and we have her original birth certificate. I know her birth mother's name, dob and address at the time and also know that she got married in 1971 in Wokingham and have a copy of the marriage certificate.

That's all I have. I have done web searches, Facebook etc for her and her husband but no luck. Every time I search I see lots of websites promising searches of the Electoral Roll and other registers but have no idea whether they are genuine or whether they are scams.

I was hoping that you could suggest any resources that I should be checking?

Thanks
Jim
Jimbobritt!

Re: Birth Mother - Hope you can help

Postby BC Wench » Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:04 am

Welcome to the forum Jim.

Firstly, we can't put any names on the forum as they may still be alive.

Fortunately you have Mother's marriage certificate where hopefully it gives her age (marriage certificates can sometimes give either Full Age or Minor) and Father's name.

Have you tried the FreeBMD (births, marriages & deaths) web site?

http://www.freebmd.org.uk

Type in Mother's name and tick the "Births" box then click "Find" button. It will throw up a lot of names and years for the name you have entered but will give you the Mother's mother's maiden name if it has been transcribed for the one you are looking for.

You have the father's name hopefully from the Mother's marriage certificate and mother's maiden name from the birth certificate so then you need to look on FreeBMD for a marriage of the Mother's parents.

Are you subscribed to Ancestry or Find My Past as these web sites are the ones to go to for census information etc.

Can you let us know how you get on then we can try and get you more info.
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Postby Jimbobritt! » Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:30 pm

Thanks so much for responding.

Yes, I have used the BMD website. I think I have discovered a sister born in 1977. I can identify a Vol and Page Number and tell that the birth was in Jan, Feb or March 1977 but can't get the exact birthdate from BMD. I believe I need this to order a copy from GRO.

Assuming I can overcome this, would sites like Ancestry.com have modern enough data to see if she has married or become a mother?

Hope you can help? Jim
Jimbobritt!

Postby BC Wench » Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:02 pm

I've sent you a pm (private message) Jim.
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Return to Brick Walls