ARC TBC Brettell/Brettle and Baker family

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, BC Wench

ARC TBC Brettell/Brettle and Baker family

Postby Frodo » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:20 pm

I am trying to find more information out about David Manger's family and have traced Mary Brettell/Raybould/Manger back to a James Brettell (1730-1814) and Hannah Baker (1740-1808) via a William Brettell born 1763.
The information is from Ancestry hints but I am struggling to find verification especially as Ancestry has picked up on a Hannah Baker born in Somerset.
I think the names are probably correct as hints suggest Hannah's mother was an Anne Sidaway and I have a Sidaway photo in Nathan Taylor's family album.
I have found records of the death of both James and Hannah but have been unable to find birth/baptism and marriage.
There are a lot of baptism records for a James and Hannah Brettell so I presume that the connection is correct.
I have also found several Hannah Bakers born in Staffordshire (but not Rowley) around 1740 but not actually in 1740.
Does anyone have more information?
Frodo

Re: Brettell/Brettle and Baker family

Postby Northern Lass » Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:44 am

Northern Lass

Postby Frodo » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:31 pm

If it helps my research on Ancestry has given more information about William Brettell with dates of 1763-1799 and he marries a Mary Priest (1761-1825). There is baptism evidence for both and marriage records (1782) but not yet been able to confirm the dates of death.
Frodo

Postby Northern Lass » Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:51 am

Not having much luck with this Frodo will move to Brickwalls to chip away at.

Can anyone help Frodo pls on this thread
Northern Lass

Postby Frodo » Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:55 pm

Thanks, I'll keep checking Brick Walls. I have no further information myself.
Frodo

Postby Frodo » Sun Dec 19, 2021 9:02 pm

I have been checking through for new information and have found evidence of Hannah Baker being born 1754 in Rowley as per the Connection page and now definitely think others have used 1740 incorrectly. There is also a record of Peter Baker marrying Anne Seedway on 12th August 1745 and Anne Seedway being christened on 16th February 1724 (English Select Births and Christenings) with parents Amos and Sarah.
Again I am seeing a mixture of Seedway and Sidaway on various sites and trees and on Connection there is an Amos married to a Sarah but their daughter Anne is born 1719 and dies 1720. Amos and Sarah are both down as dying in 1728 so a 1724 birth is feasible.
If this makes sense and can be verified can the link be made between Baker/Seedwell on Connections
and could Seedwell/Sidaway be sorted or linked - it does seem likely they are one and the same especially given the existence of a Sidaway photo although that may be a red herring.
Closer inspection of the photo of Agnes Sidaway shows it was taken in Montreal possibly in 1860 as I know Nathan was there then but it could possibly be in the 1870ies. It may be someone he was a passenger with possibly with connections to the Black Country and I cannot see an Agnes on Connections who would have been in her twenties (? just guessing by the look of the photo).
Frodo

Postby BC Wench » Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:58 pm

Is this still a Brickwall, or have you solved it?

Unless otherwise advised this will be moved to the Brickwalls Archived section
within 24 hours.
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Return to Archived Brick Wall Posts