ARC TBC Elizabeth Shingles born 1863 Liverpool

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, BC Wench

ARC TBC Elizabeth Shingles born 1863 Liverpool

Postby Sair1979 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:31 pm

I've been researching my family tree for a number of years but have reached a block with my great great grandmother. She states on various documents - census, marriage that she was born in Liverpool in 1863, yet I cannot locate her birth record nor that of her brother Frederick Shingles born 1864 in Congleton, Cheshire.

Elizabeth first appears in the public record on the 1871 census, living in Congleton as a 'boarder' with a family named 'Morris'. I cannot find her on the 1881 census, the next time I can find trace of her is her marriage to my great great Grandfather Thomas Goodier (born 1860 in Cotton, Cheshire) in 1887 in Congleton. I have a copy of the wedding certificate and on it states her father is Frederick Shingles and he is a labourer, it does not say deceased, so I infer from that he is alive at that point, he may in fact have witnessed their marriage since one of the witnesses is a Frederick Shingles, but that could be her brother for all I know.

I wonder if anyone can think of a reason which I may not have considered why there is no birth record for her. Have records gone missing from the GRO? I have tried all sorts of alternative spellings for both names (Shingler, Shingles, Singleton, Beth, Betty, Liz, Lizzie etc) and there are 2 Births in England which match that name and year of birth but neither of them is my Elizabeth, I've researched both of the others just to make sure.

I do wonder about the possibility her name was different at birth, that is definitely possible but how would I find out if that was the case? Frederick (the father) does not appear on any census, that I can locate in that general area of Cheshire / Liverpool. I did find a Frederick Shingles in Staffordshire on the 1841 census who may be the right one, but only because he is about the right age.
Sair1979

Re: Elizabeth Shingles born 1863 Liverpool

Postby Jimmy » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:33 pm

1841. Wolverhampton.
George Shingles 30. Ag lab.
Mary Shingles 30.
Frederick Shingles 8.
Emma Shingles 5.
Thomas Shingles 1.
Ann Navall 15.

1861 Chappel Ash, Wolverhampton.
George Shingler 53. waggonner.
Mary A Shingler 50.
Fredrick Shingler 29. farm labourer. Tettenhall, Staffs.
Thomas Shingler 21.
George Shingler 19.
Martha Shingler 14.
William Shingler 12.
David Shingler 11.
Harriet Shingler 8.

Wolverhampton St Luke.
Marriage date 16 Feb 1863.
Frederick Osborne SHINGLER. 30. bachelor. labourer. Park Street. George SHINGLER. Labourer.
Elizabeth BREWER. 21. Spinster. Domestic servant. Cross Street. John BREWER. Labourer.
Witness 1 George HILL.
Witness 2 Emma ARNOLD.

SHINGLER, GEORGE OSBORNE BREWER.
GRO Reference: 1863 D Quarter in WALSALL Volume 06B Page 506.

SHINGLER, MARY OSBORNE BREWER.
GRO Reference: 1868 M Quarter in WALSALL Volume 06B Page 596.
Jimmy

Postby Sair1979 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:20 pm

Thank you for your help. The census return from 1841 was the same one I found. I can't seem to locate the 1861 though, will keep looking for that. I had spotted the marriage and had made a note previously to look into that a bit more. I think you could be on to something with the Wolverhampton connection as both me and mum are showing West Midlands as one of our top 10 regions on 23 and Me - we had wondered where that was from.
Sair1979

Postby BC Wench » Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:54 pm

Is this still a Brickwall, or have you solved it?

Unless otherwise advised this will be moved to the Brickwalls Archived section
within 24 hours
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Return to Archived Brick Wall Posts