ARC TBC Henry Welland

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, BC Wench

ARC TBC Henry Welland

Postby Marchesgirl » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:08 pm

Henry Welland was baptised at Witley in Surrey in 1781 and died in 1849. He had an older brother, John (1779-1852). Both Henry and John left detailed wills which confirm that Henry married Elizabeth (nee Batchelor, by Licence at St. Dunstan & All Saints, Stepney in 1804) and they had four children: Mary, John, Henry Arthur (who ended up being transported to Australia, but that's another story!) and Louisa Elizabeth. The eldest two children were baptised at Shoreditch and the younger two at Whitechapel. I have baptism, marriage, burial and census records to support all the above. Elizabeth nee Batchelor died in 1827 aged 47 and was buried at Witley. Her youngest daughter Louisa, who died aged 10 was also buried at Witley. According to his will, Henry was a former Beadle of the Court of Requests for the Tower Hamlets but out of business when he made his will in 1848.

So why is Henry a brick wall? Well, because in 1794, a Henry Welland of Witley married Sarah Attride by Licence at St. Peter & St. Paul's Church, West Clandon and they subsequently baptised 4 children at Witley: William (bp. 1797), Elizabeth (bp. 1799), Thomas (bp. 1802) George (bp. 1805). Sarah's brother, George Attride who died in 1838, left bequests to his sister, Sarah Welland (wife of Henry Welland of Witley), and nephews William Welland, Thomas Welland and George Welland. One of George's executors was Henry Welland of the Court of Requests for the Tower Hamlets!

As I see it, there are two possibilities. Either George Attride chose his brother in law Henry Welland as an executor (in which case Henry was a bigamist) or there are 2 Henry Wellands - one who married Sarah Attride and another who married Elizabeth Batchelor and was a beadle at the Court of Requests. If Henry was a bigamist, surely the Attride family must have known especially as Elizabeth and her daughter were buried at Witley where Sarah and her sons were living?

I'd welcome any ideas of other avenues I can search. I've tried newspapers but not found anything so far.
Marchesgirl

Re: Henry Welland

Postby Marchesgirl » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:44 pm

I think I have resolved this. I realised this morning that Henry (1781-1849) would only have been 15 at the time of the marriage to Sarah Attride. I think it was his father (also Henry) who married Sarah Attride after the death of his first wife Mary Edwards in 1793. This would explain why Sarah is referred to in her brother's will as the wife of Henry Welland of Witley. Henry the Executor (and former Beadle at the Court of Requests) would have been Sarah's stepson.
Marchesgirl

Re: Henry Welland

Postby BC Wench » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:09 am

Is this still a Brickwall, or have you solved it?

Unless otherwise advised this will be moved to the Brickwalls Archived section
within 24 hours
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Return to Archived Brick Wall Posts