ARC TBC 5th Great Grandmother Unknown - Maybe?

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, BC Wench

ARC TBC 5th Great Grandmother Unknown - Maybe?

Postby Maddalou » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:38 am

Hello again!

We first came across my 5th great grandmother when we first started researching nearly 15 years ago, my mum at the time was doing most, if not all of the research and I will just starting out and filling in the gaps.
This lady has always been SARAH UNKNOWN in our tree as we have not been able to find her maiden name.
She married a gentleman by the name of Thomas Varney, somewhere around 1800-1801. (Assuming they married before children) The had four children born between 1802 and 1809 in Wormley, Hertfordshire. And another son born in Bedfordshire before the others named George, but for the life of me I can't remember his year of birth off the top of my head, but he was about 1801.
She is present on the 1841 census as Sarah Varney born 1771 in Hertfordshire and is widowed, living with her son and daughter in law. She had died by March 1851.

Her burial record gives her age as 83y, so basic maths says she was actually born around 1768. Thomas her husband was from Bedfordshire, so I went on the assumption that he stayed in Wormley after their marriage.
Their children were named Sarah (1802) Henry (1805) Maria (1808) and Thomas (1809) and George (c1801) who was born in Woburn, his fathers home town.

So they had one son in Bedfordshire, and four others in their mothers home town.

I have ran a quick search using the year of birth for Sarah as 1768 and used the town Wormley. Two results came up, one really caught my eye.
Sarah Starling baptised 27th March 1768 in Wormley and parents were Henry and Mary.
The name Henry just randomly popped up for us, everyone before Thomas was either George, Thomas or John (no joke) So Henry was a random name and a very common first and middle name coming forward from Henry.

I know I could never say it is her 100%, but I would love to just have a note somewhere giving her a possible surname. To me, the above makes sense, but I need someone else's perspective on it.
Maddalou

Re: 5th Great Grandmother Unknown - Maybe?

Postby BC Wench » Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:24 pm

Is this still a Brickwall, or have you solved it?

Unless otherwise advised this will be moved to the Brickwalls Archived section
within 24 hours
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Return to Archived Brick Wall Posts