ARC TBC Researching Amelia Cooksey nee Portman & family

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, BC Wench

ARC TBC Researching Amelia Cooksey nee Portman & family

Postby Lynne House » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:21 pm

I am researching my grandfather George Cooksey (1879-1979)and his family. His parents were Amelia Portman and her husband John Cooksey (1854-1918) who came from the Rowley Regis/ Halesowen area and moved up to Yorkshire along with several family members.

1) I have dates of birth for Amelia Portman ranging from 1858/9 to 1861, with documentary evidence to support all of them (the majority supporting 1861). In each case they appear to have married John Cooksey. So, which date of birth is accurate?
I noticed there are two Amelia Portmans on the Black Country Connections website, I am not sure which is my relative. I wondered if Jan and mumbles who are on BCC and have added a comment about Amelia Portman could help clarify this for me.

2) I have found quite a lot of documents which support Amelia's parents as Thomas Portman 1833-1915) and Sarah Siveter (1838-1909). However, some sources, including BCC, agree on James Portman (b 1838) and Mary Ann Tickle (b 1834) being her parents. The evidence is pointing two ways so I am unsure who her parents are. Given the discrepancies for her date of birth, I'm hesitant to try to find a copy of her birth certificate.

I would be grateful for any suggestions which might clarify some of this.

Thanks

Lynne
Lynne House

Re: Researching Amelia Cooksey nee Portman & family

Postby grangers14 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:33 pm

Hello Lynne,
I hope you enjoy the forum and our company! Glad you joined us!
I will let mumbles and Jan you are here and possible connection! :)
grangers14

Postby Northern Lass » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:50 am

The Birth certificate for Amelia portman is on Bcc shows father James and mother Mary Tikkle or looked like Tittler
address Garratts lane father chainmaker so to me looks good for that one on Bcc
marriage father James chainmaker

not sure what the confusion is?
Northern Lass

Postby mumbles » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:42 pm

Gro Registration

1857 Stourbridge Amelia Portman mother Switer ( probably Siviter)
1861 Dudley Amelia Portman mother Tittle
mumbles

Postby mumbles » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:58 pm

My connection goes back to Sarah Marsh born 1826 Dudley who married 1) Joseph Cooksey born 1818 2) Edward Hipkiss born 1829
Their daughter Elizabeth Hipkiss born 1853 married my paternal great grandfather Joseph Brookes born 1849 and in turn their son Edward Brookes born 1875 my grandfather married my grandmother Ellen Parsons All on bcc
mumbles

Postby Northern Lass » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:27 am

So the 2 birth certifs are on Bcc I bought those
hope that helps

I think it looks ok but it is up to you to decide if you feel that Amelia dau of james married your Cooksey or
the other one

I will in the meantime move this to brickwalls see if anyone has any further info.
Northern Lass

Postby Lynne House » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:05 pm

Hi all

I appreciate you trying to clarify who the parents of Amelia Portman were. My confusion comes from there appearing to be two Amelia Portman's, but regardless of her parents and slightly different dates of birth, several sources seem to have both married to John Cooksey b 1854.

Amelia and John were my great grandparents, John was a stone miner at 17 and moved to Royston between 1879 and 1881 for coal mining work. Amelia was a nailer, and my grandfather's birth certificate shows she signed with an X. Several of John's relatives also made the move to Yorkshire, including his parents James & Ann Cooksey. John & Amelia had 14 children in total, 10 survived. I am descended from their son George Cooksey b 1897 in Royston who married Emily Hulson.

Thanks Mumbles for letting explaining your link to the Cooksey's. I'm sorry I don't have a Joseph Cooksey b 1818 on my tree to date (though the name Hipkiss sounds familiar), but you never know what more research will throw up.

Thanks to Northern Lass too, for seeing if anyone can help me decide who my great great grandparents are.

Lynne
Lynne House

Postby Northern Lass » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:44 am

Lynne House wrote:Hi all

I appreciate you trying to clarify who the parents of Amelia Portman were. My confusion comes from there appearing to be two Amelia Portman's, but regardless of her parents and slightly different dates of birth, several sources seem to have both married to John Cooksey b 1854.

Amelia and John were my great grandparents, John was a stone miner at 17 and moved to Royston between 1879 and 1881 for coal mining work. Amelia was a nailer, and my grandfather's birth certificate shows she signed with an X. Several of John's relatives also made the move to Yorkshire, including his parents James & Ann Cooksey. John & Amelia had 14 children in total, 10 survived. I am descended from their son George Cooksey b 1897 in Royston who married Emily Hulson.

Thanks Mumbles for letting explaining your link to the Cooksey's. I'm sorry I don't have a Joseph Cooksey b 1818 on my tree to date (though the name Hipkiss sounds familiar), but you never know what more research will throw up.

Thanks to Northern Lass too, for seeing if anyone can help me decide who my great great grandparents are.

Lynne

but the fathers on each marriage for the amelias will show the way imo
father James on that cooksey marriage
father james on birth certif
and census and birth certif support garrats lane
Northern Lass

Postby rockyfowler » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:49 am

I think she knows this having linked James in her tree,the only small doubt is this other Amelia Portman 1857 who disappears after 1871 if she could be found it would put the case at rest :?: Kind Regards RF
“You know you’re getting old when you stoop to tie your shoelaces and wonder what else you could do while you’re down there.” ― George Burns
rockyfowler

Postby Northern Lass » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:25 pm

rockyfowler wrote:I think she knows this having linked James in her tree,the only small doubt is this other Amelia Portman 1857 who disappears after 1871 if she could be found it would put the case at rest :?: Kind Regards RF

what case?
:roll:

If she marries and father is James on marriage then it is not the other Amelia Portman in the frame at all.
That other one has father Thomas ...and maybe marries someone else or dies.
Northern Lass

Postby rockyfowler » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:04 pm

Wether she believes Amelia 1857 is her rel or Amelia 1861 :idea: I think ?
“You know you’re getting old when you stoop to tie your shoelaces and wonder what else you could do while you’re down there.” ― George Burns
rockyfowler

Postby Northern Lass » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:15 pm

rockyfowler wrote:Wether she believes Amelia 1857 is her rel or Amelia 1861 :idea: I think ?

So if this is the case...that poster says in inital post..

I am researching my grandfather George Cooksey (1879-1979)and his family. His parents were Amelia Portman and her husband John Cooksey (1854-1918) who came from the Rowley Regis/ Halesowen area and moved up to Yorkshire along with several family members.

So posters rellie is
George Cooksey parents Amelia Portman and John Cooksey
https://bcconnections.tribalpages.com/t ... ver=476618

That marriage has Johns father on and Amelias father on.
Amelias family going back is on Bcc father James

the only query would be if another Amelia marries another John Cooksey and has son George
Northern Lass

Postby Northern Lass » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:26 pm

Curious now as to what happens to the other Amelia Portman can't see marriage or death for one.

Islington, Halesowen
Thomas Portman 38 - Horsenail maker
Sarah Portman 32 - Nailmaker
Amelia Portman 12 - Nailmaker
Alice Portman 12 - Nurse
William Portman 10 - Nailmaker
Joseph Portman 6 - Paritally deaf/dumb from 15mths
Arthur Portman 4
Benjamin Portman 1
all b Halesowen

Chapel Street, Hasbury
Thomas Portman 48 - Nailor
Sarah Portman 44 - Nailor
Joseph Portman 15 - Nailor
Arthur Portman 13 - Nailor
Benjamin Portman 11 - Nailor
Ernest Portman 9
Edwin B. Portman 6
Ethel M. Portman 4
all b Halesowen
Northern Lass

Postby rockyfowler » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:33 pm

That is the Question ?? Scoured all my black box -Nothing? she was not a witness on other siblings marriages no death ,must be down mistake as another name? complete mystery :o
rockyfowler

Postby Northern Lass » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:56 pm

Still think that the line is good
Amelia Portman born 1861 father James marries John Cooksey
on 1901 that Amelia puts born Old hill which is rowley regis area
and ties in with Garratts lane birth certif

as does the death burial info checks out as born 1861 so yes there maybe another Amelia but unless she marries a John Cooksey and has a son George
then irrelevant imo.
Northern Lass

Next

Return to Archived Brick Wall Posts