ARC TBC wall looking for my great grandad Francis Moses

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, BC Wench

ARC TBC wall looking for my great grandad Francis Moses

Postby CarolineS » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:13 pm

Hello. I'm wondering if anyone can help me please? I'm trying to research my family tree but have hot a brick wall once I reach my great grandfather. I belive his name was Francis Moses and he lived in or around Shildon County Durham between 1904 and 1908. He had my grandfather George Moses and a daughter called Amy Moses between 1904 and 1906 to a lady called Hannah Maria Thompson. I cant however find any marriage or census record for them both. In 1900 Hannah Maria was Thompson and lived with her parents. I think he may have passed away between 1906 and 1910 as in the 1910 census I've found a record of an Annie Moses (widowed) living in the area with her children Amy and George. Hannah may have gone by Annie Nd taken his surname. Amy's marriage certificate in later years shows her father as deceased too. I found one death for a Francis Moses in the area between 1906 and 1910 but when I requested the death certificate it said the record number didn't match. I've searched on a few different sites and really want to know more. I know Hannah (Annie) went on to marry and moved to Yorkshire. Her family kept in touch with my father but he doesn't know anything much about his grandad. The last of her children to her second husband (Betty, Elizabeth) died recently age 103 but I was unable to find out anything from her. Can anyone perhaps help or point me in a direction where I may find more info please? Thank you.
CarolineS

Re: Hit a brick wall looking for my great grandad Francis Mo

Postby avb » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:18 am

CarolineS wrote: I found one death for a Francis Moses in the area between 1906 and 1910 but when I requested the death certificate it said the record number didn't match.

If the death below is the one you are talking about you can order it from: https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.asp

Deaths Sep 1908
MOSES Francis 59 Darlington 10a 7
Not Step, Not Half, Just Family.
avb

Postby gardener » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:44 pm

Do the birth certificates for Amy and George give an occupation for Francis?

The death certificate listed above (if correct) should also give an occupation (and maybe an address) and that might help locate him in the census. I can't see him in 1901/1891/1881.

Based on that death certificate (which would need purchasing) he was born about 1849ish. There is a birth registered in Darlington in 1852 which seems to fit this family

Pierce Bridge
Francis Moses 43
Sarah Moses 40
Sarah Moses 12
Francis Moses 9 born Pierce Bridge
Dorothy Moses 7
George Moses 5
Christiana Moses 1

and perhaps with his older sister Mary in 1871
James Best 36
Mary Best 29
Ellen Best 7
Sarah J Best 3
Mary A Best 1
Francis Moses 20 born Pierce Bridge
Thomas Winter 34
Thomas Hupton 21

There is also an army record that should be checked if someone has access to it

Name: Francis Moses
Enlistment Age: 24
Birth Date: abt 1852
Birth Place: Piercebridge
Enlistment Year: 1876
Regiment: 2st R Dns
Regimental Number: 1587
Attestation Paper: Yes

If Francis did not marry the mother of Amy and George then all you can do is get the certificates and see if his occupation helps at all. The informant on the death certificate might help too.
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Postby grangers14 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:30 pm

There is also this ...looks like the address matches 1911.

From https://durhamrecordsonline.com/index.php

Cemetery Registers Darlington 1908 Francis Moses abt 1849 High Forcett Street, Cockerton
grangers14

Postby CarolineS » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:45 pm

Thank you everyone. I'm so sorry I didn't seem to be notified of these replies and just randomly found them.

I found a death certificate for him and it confirms his 'wife' was with him. The death certificate puts him at 59 which would make his birth 1849. However as you've all pointed out all the census and other info coming up points to a Francis Moses born 1852. It is only a couple of years out so could be him.
CarolineS

Postby CarolineS » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:48 pm

I've got a wedding certificate of Amy's that says he was deceased when she married but his occupation had been a publican. His death certificate says he was a hotel barkeeper and I found out that he managed a hotel bar in Darlington that is still open to this day when he passed.
CarolineS

Postby BC Wench » Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:07 pm

Is this still a Brickwall, or have you solved it?

Unless otherwise advised this will be moved to the Brickwalls Archived section
within 24 hours.
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Return to Archived Brick Wall Posts