ARC TBC Deaths at sea

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, BC Wench

ARC TBC Deaths at sea

Postby tomdavis2000 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:45 pm

Hi all, my name is Tom Davis I am 18 and live in Oxford, England. I am currently researching my family links to Melbourne, Australia. In 1889 my 2x Great-Grandparents George Davis and Eliza Davis (nee Freeman) emigrated along with most of their family to Melbourne in order to start a new life away from dreary Nottingham. The couple married a week before departing Plymouth and by 1891 would have two girls in Melbourne. One of the two girls was Edith Mabel Davis, born 1891. I have looked at getting her birth certificate ordered from Australia but it looks as if you have to prove your identity at the Australian embassy-is this true? Anyway, by 1893 the family had decided they wanted to move back to Nottingham and boarded the Nordeutscher Liner Hohenstaufen on the 13th June 1893 along with Florence (3) and Mabel (1). Edith Mabel would not survive the 11,500 mile journey home and is registered as dead in Nottingham. I have been looking for ship records from the Hohenstaufen and haven't been able to find anything and am starting to wonder whether records were destroyed in the war or are perhaps not yet digitised in Germany. Any help would be much appreciated. Kind regards, Tom.
Attachments
g dav - Copy.jpg
George Davis
g dav - Copy.jpg (136.97 KiB) Viewed 887 times
tomdavis2000

Re: Deaths at sea

Postby BC Wench » Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:06 pm

Is this still a Brickwall, or have you solved it?

Unless otherwise advised this will be moved to the Brickwalls Archived section
within 24 hours
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Return to Archived Brick Wall Posts