ARC TBC James Hingley & Mary Billingham

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, BC Wench

ARC TBC James Hingley & Mary Billingham

Postby SRD » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:58 am

I've been trying to piece together the info about James Hingley (b abt 1766 d. 1846) who married Mary Billingham on 26 Dec 1791 at Rowley Regis according to BCC but others seem to have acquired other info, to wit:
Marriage Date: 10 May 1803
Marriage Place: Halesowen,Worcester,England
Name: James Ingley
Spouse: Mary Billingham

Also there seems to be differences regarding James burial:
Burial: 10 Mar 1846
Cradley Chapel (St Peter), Church Road, Cradley, Worcestershire

Burial:
Date: March 1846
Park Lane Chapel, Cradley, Worcestershire.

And Mary seems to have been buried at St Peter's too (not that it was St Peter's at that time)
Burial: 27 October 1858
Cradley Chapel (St Peter), Church Road, Cradley, Worcestershire.

I'm pretty sure that linnell said that all of that family were buried at Park Lane Chapel.
I wondered if the two chapels were one and the same but checking on t'internet http://www.cradleylinks.com/st_peters.html I see that St Peter was originally an Independent Congregational Chapel which 'converted' to CofE for financial reasons and that Park Lane is a Unitarian chapel in Netherend.
So, where and when were they married?
And where were they buried?
And if both sets of records are correct, and there are two families with similar events, which James & Mary are the parents of Tobias who married Mary Ann Ward, my 3xgt grandparents?
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Re: James Hingley & Mary Billingham

Postby Jimmy » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:36 pm

Death,
HINGLEY, JAMES     age 79.  
GRO Reference: 1846  M Quarter in DUDLEY UNION  Volume 18  Page 216.

Just trying to do my bit for BCC, bringing families back together.
Jimmy

Postby Jimmy » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:40 pm

Death,
HINGLEY, MARY     age 86.  
GRO Reference: 1858  D Quarter in DUDLEY  Volume 06C  Page 3.
Just trying to do my bit for BCC, bringing families back together.
Jimmy

Postby SRD » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:57 am

Thanks Jimmy
SRD

Postby SRD » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:42 am

Looking at James & Mary's daughter Leonora, linnell couldn't find a marriage to Joseph Homer, and neither can I, but I note that according to James' will he is first referred to as William Joseph Homer and then as Joseph. I can't find any other reference to William Joseph but you lot are better at these things than I am, is there a marriage between Leonora & William Joseph Homer?
Incidentally, is the Joseph Homer acquitted from a charge of larceny at the Worcester Assize of 17th October 1846 the same person?
SRD

Postby grangers14 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:04 am

1st May 1837. Christ Church, West Bromwich.
Joseph Homer, B, OTP
Leonra Hingley, S, OTP
Witnesses, William Bennet, Sarah Hngley
grangers14

Postby SRD » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:13 am

Thanks. Looking at the witnesses William Bennet was married to her sister Selina, but who was Sarah?
SRD

Postby grangers14 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:31 pm

10th May 1803. St John Halesowen
James Ingley OTP B
Mary Billingham OTP, S
Witnesses James Hingley and Richard Fiddian

Richard Fiddian must have been something to do with the church as he is a witness to many marriages.

?? odd BCC has perhaps it is another one?
grangers14

Postby grangers14 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:06 pm

26th December 1791. St Giles, Rowley Regis
James Ingley,b, and Mary Billingham,sp
Witnesses, Sam Billingham, James Rhoades

Tobias is executor of his fathers will...
They are also living nextdoor to each other...
grangers14

Postby SRD » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:18 am

Ok, so we know the James married in 1791 must be the father of all those children baptised at Park Lane Chapel, and, because they continued to have their children baptised there after 1803 it's unlikely that they changed from Park Lane to St John the Baptist for an 1803 second marriage (at the C of E St John, Halesowen, because of a change of Creed) so the 1803 marriage is probably a different James (H)ingley & Mary Billingham, but doesn't that also suggest that the 1766 baptism of James (at St John, Halesowen) isn't the one in the BCC family and that therefore James & Ann Fownes aren't the correct set of parents/grandparents to that family? :o
Do we have two James & Anns both having a son James who marries a Mary Billingham?
SRD

Postby SRD » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:22 am

Incidentally, I've just gone up a generation on BCC and the will that appertains to the James who married Mary Billingham seems to have been applied to his father who married Ann Fownes and died 20 years earlier than the year the will was executed. Or am I reading it wrong?
SRD

Postby grangers14 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:32 pm

It must be two others named James and Mary...
As for the will as far as I can see it is under the correct James, names the children as it is on BCC

"In his Will he specified how Ten Tenanted Messuages were to be divided between his three sons, Samuel, James and Thomas, daughter Hannah Fellows, Phoebe's husband Samuel Mason and Nancy's husband John Adams"

On BCC
"Tobias was an Executor for his father's estate."
That is for his father, not his Grandfather...

I wonder if the other marriage in 1803 is for this couple??
https://bcconnections.tribalpages.com/t ... ver=412778
grangers14

Postby SRD » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:23 pm

:oops: I must be reading the wrong will, the one I mean is the one referred to here:
Appeared Personally James Hingley of the Parish of Rowley Regis in the County of Stafford and Diocese of Worcester Farmer and Tobias Hingley of the same place and Chain Maker the executors named in the last Will and Testament of James Hingley late of Cradley Heath in the Parish of Rowley Regis aforesaid Chain Maker deceased, and made Oath that the deceased died on or about the third day of March in the year of our Lord One Thousand eight hundred and forty six and that the Estate and Effects of the deceased which he anyway died possessed of or entitled to, and for in respect of which a Probate of the said Will is to be granted, exclusive of what the said deceased may have possessed of or entitled to as a Trustee for any other Person or Persons, and not beneficially, but including the leasehold Estate or Estates for years of the said deceased, whether absolute or determinable on Lives, and without deducting anything on account of the Debts due and owing from the said deceased are under the Value of Twenty Pounds, to the best of the Deponents knowledge, information or belief. James Hingley Tobias Hingley

which suggests that not only was James's son James also pretty good at acquiring property but that the value of the various properties bequeathed was minimal, I know Cradley Heath isn't the most sought after area nowadays but can you imagine valuing a commercial property on Lawrence Lane and several hundred square yards of land adjoining the Stourbridge - Rowley road in Cradley Heath for less than £20.
The other James & Mary you suggest is a possibility but what ties them to the Halesowen church, aren't they even further away?
And there still isn't an explanation of how 'our' James was baptised at St John, Halesowen rather than Park Lane.

I think I'm going to go away and try to solve the North Korea problem, it's got to be easier than this.
SRD

Postby Northern Lass » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:16 am

Moved this to Brickwalls

gone thru it and I too am applying for a job at the north Korean problem solving dept
cos this thread is too confusing

so Question..
Do we have it right on Bcc?

I have added in that possible marriage for another James Ingley/Hingley and Mary Billingham.

:shock:
Northern Lass

Postby SRD » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:07 am

I was working upwards from my father, which got me to the children shown on BCC at https://bcconnections.tribalpages.com/t ... onnections

I think that their parents, James & Mary (Billingham), are the ones married in 1791
Parish Register
26th December 1791. St Giles, Rowley Regis
James Ingley,b, and Mary Billingham,sp
Witnesses, Sam Billingham, James Rhoades

because their children are all baptised at Park Lane and, according to linnell, James & Mary are buried there.
According to the will James died in 1846 leaving various legacies to children shown on that page on BCC.

Whereas the 1803 marriage:
10th May 1803. St John Halesowen
James Ingley OTP B
Mary Billingham OTP, S
Witnesses James Hingley and Richard Fiddian

Would mean that for an unamed reason James & Mary got married in a church not their own and after some of their children were born.

The 1841 census gives us James aged 75 (but we know that ages in 1841 are notoriously inaccurate), and there is a baptism (on BCC):
Date: 13 Jul 1766
Church: St John the Baptist, Halesowen, Worcestershire
Name: James
Parents: James & Ann
Surname: Ingeley

But that takes us back to Halesowen (so could relate to the James married in 1803) and there is another baptism (for which I don't have full details):
Baptism: 14 Jun 1772
St Giles, Hanover Road, Rowley Regis, Staffordshire

Which, if I could find it again, might relate to the James who is father of those children shown on the BCC page shown at the top of this post.

If the latter scenario is correct then the parents of James aren't James & Ann Fownes.
Attachments
Hingley, James 1841 Census detail.jpg
Hingley, James 1841 Census detail.jpg (74.57 KiB) Viewed 2818 times
SRD

Next

Return to Archived Brick Wall Posts