My DNA Journey as a Newbie

Discussion of DNA research techniques and web sites. Please do not post DNA data relating to individuals.

Moderators: grangers14, admin

My DNA Journey as a Newbie

Postby chiddicks » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:04 pm

Over the next few weeks I hope to post a regular blog on my personal DNA experience from a complete novice perspective. From choosing the test, the test itself, the results and what to do next.

Hopefully if you new like me this might help you with choices, interpreting your results and ultimately what to do with them
chiddicks

Re: My DNA Journey as a Newbie

Postby chiddicks » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:05 pm

DNA Testing - The Revolution (1) https://chiddicksfamilytree.wordpress.c ... evolution/ via @chiddickstree
chiddicks

Postby chiddicks » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:05 pm

Choosing a DNA test (2) https://chiddicksfamilytree.wordpress.c ... na-test-2/ via @chiddickstree
chiddicks

Postby grangers14 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:12 pm

I did mine many years ago, I forget the company now? Ancestry bought? the results. I can longer see them! :o It has put me off doing it now.
grangers14

Postby chiddicks » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:05 am

chiddicks

Postby chiddicks » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:39 pm

My DNA results are in!!

Could I be anymore British!!

https://chiddicksfamilytree.wordpress.c ... ts-are-in/
chiddicks

Postby ELF1989 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:16 pm

Resolving my DNA matches is my current obsession LOL

Welcome to a whole new world of genealogy!
ELF1989

Postby ELF1989 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:18 pm

Re your ethnicity on your blog, they're really not that useful for the ethnicity side of things.

When you upload your DNA to other sites (which you will as you will become addicted lol) you'll see that the ethnicity changes greatly. That's because it's based partly on where your matches live vs where your ancestors were born.

Shout if you need a helping hand getting started :)
ELF1989

Postby chiddicks » Wed May 02, 2018 3:10 pm

Brilliant thanks Elf will do, I am already addicted !!

I see what you mean about the ethnicity estimate as well.
chiddicks

Postby ELF1989 » Wed May 02, 2018 6:57 pm

Have you worked out your first match yet?

I don’t have many Shared Ancestor Hints but have now worked out 26 of my matches :)

You can upload your dna to gedmatch, ftdna and MyHeritage to mop up more but I waited until I had got my head around Ancestry first
ELF1989

Postby chiddicks » Mon May 07, 2018 8:54 pm

DNA The next step all those matches!

https://chiddicksfamilytree.wordpress.c ... xt-step-5/
chiddicks

Postby peterd » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:44 pm

grangers14 wrote:I did mine many years ago, I forget the company now? Ancestry bought? the results. I can longer see them! :o It has put me off doing it now.
if you got the index no ancestry should still have it contact them
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby peterd » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:47 pm

chiddicks wrote:DNA The next step all those matches!

https://chiddicksfamilytree.wordpress.c ... xt-step-5/

some useful tip there thanks
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby chiddicks » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:47 am

I have updated this post and will post the story rather than the links so hopefully people will stop by and read my DNA journey.

Over the next few weeks and months I hope to post on my personal DNA experience, from a complete novice perspective. From the choosing of what type of DNA test to take, to the test itself, then following on with the results, how to interpret them and literally what to do with the results once you have them.

So today is the first, the introduction itself.

There have been two defining moments, for me, in Genealogy and Family Tree research, the first being arrival of the internet and the instant accessibility to records online and the second is now upon us, DNA Testing!

I will openly admit that my personal knowledge of DNA testing is somewhat limited and probably like many others, I had dismissed it's possibilities too easily, without weighing up the benefits it can bring. However I am a fast learner and I am gradually bringing myself up to speed with the benefits that DNA testing can bring to your research. Even us  old Dinosaurs can learn a trick or two from the Kids!

Now I am not going to try and teach you how to go about finding the most suitable test for you, there are far more well written and easy to use guides online and many online groups, that will give you the help that you need.

My intentions is only to highlight why I feel that it's an important to consider taking a DNA test in the first place and to not be too dismissive of it's benefits. DNA testing will never replace solid based factual research, but like all good genealogists who seek proof, it can help to prove or disprove family connections and can ask as an alternative source for your records. After all, a source and proof is what we are all looking for.

Add to this the possibility of discovering a wealth of new cousins around the globe and making new contacts, is there a reason not to consider taking a test? The possibility of gaining new matches is what I am personally looking forward to the most.

Like everything with Family History, you of course have to be prepared for what you might uncover, but that's equally possible from just using paper records, so as long as you are prepared for what your DNA can tell you, there's no reason not to take a test.

I will post an update to this blog once my results have arrived and will post regular blogs on how I am interpreting my results and my plan of action. Including updates of making contact with new matches.

So why not join me and join the DNA revolution and lets see where this new road will take us.
chiddicks

Return to DNA Research