Practical indications of a DNA result

Discussion of DNA research techniques and web sites. Please do not post DNA data relating to individuals.

Moderators: grangers14, admin

Practical indications of a DNA result

Postby lorisarvendu » Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:44 am

Hi all.

An intriguing DNA match has come up on my wife's results. Someone with a match of 459cM which Ancestry kindly flags as a possible 1st/2nd Cousin. However there are some difficulties with this.

This person is exactly the same age as my wife, which would indicate (looking at the site DNAPainter) that the relationship is of the order of half-1st Cousin or 1st Cousin once removed. For this person to be a cousin, the common ancestor must surely only be of the generation of my wife's grandparents. The problem is that both my wife and the other individual have very detailed trees going back at least three generations, and are both based in completely different areas of the country - the Midlands and London. We're thinking the only possibility is a non-paternity event, but the only time an individual from one tree was in the same geographical region as the other was my wife's father, who spent some time in the army at round about the right time.

If he was the originator, this would make this individual my wife's half-1st cousin. Is that too close for the above-mentioned DNA result?
Last edited by lorisarvendu on Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
lorisarvendu

Re: Practical indications of a DNA result

Postby peterd » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:25 pm

if it was your wife father it would be her half sibling and that would be in the 1700cm,

does Ancestry indicate if its her mothers line or not ?

more likely it one of her Uncles if she has any? holiday fling?
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby lorisarvendu » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:43 pm

I'm not sure what your comment about my wife's line means, as my wife is the only person in her family who has had a DNA test. She does have a maternal uncle who was in the Forces in the 60s though, so I guess that's a possibility if he was in London at that time. I suppose this sort of thing is going to come up as more people go for these tests.

We haven't heard from the DNA contact since my wife gave her access to her tree, so I guess she may have put two and two together.
lorisarvendu

Postby peterd » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:29 pm

lorisarvendu wrote:I'm not sure what your comment about my wife's line means, as my wife is the only person in her family who has had a DNA test. She does have a maternal uncle who was in the Forces in the 60s though, so I guess that's a possibility if he was in London at that time. I suppose this sort of thing is going to come up as more people go for these tests.

We haven't heard from the DNA contact since my wife gave her access to her tree, so I guess she may have put two and two together.

on ancestry when you get your DNA matches does it say mother side on any of you wife matches see photo it might be because i had my mother DNA done but usually chromosome 23 can indicate what side of the family the DNA you match to is from ie paternal side will be blank and Maternal side may have mother side on see the photo of my tree from ancestry to see what i mean scroll the photo across

mother side.jpg
mother side.jpg (83.37 KiB) Viewed 9767 times

i've got two like that when they get access to your tree and figure it out they run a mile with you left hanging
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

peterd

Postby lorisarvendu » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:36 am

Hi peterd.

Yes she gets one of those, but I can't see either from mine, or from yours where it indicates whether it is maternal or paternal.

In this case we think we have a suspect. My wife's male 1st cousin on her mother's side (my wife's mother's nephew). We keep thinking of him as an Uncle because his father (my wife's actual uncle) was killed in the 2nd WW, so he was adopted by his grandmother. So legally he's her uncle but genetically he's her 1st cousin. He's got form though, as he is already in contact with a daughter he found out about several years ago. Maybe we should persuade him to have a test himself, ha ha.

If he was actually the father of our match, would that correspond with 459cM across 16 segments?

The match hasn't responded to our messages yet, but that's because she hasn't been online for a fortnight, and she hasn't activated the Tree invite. Annoyingly I've just found that Ancestry's email notifications doesn't include messages. Which means you never know if you've had a message unless you log in. Still get all the annoying hints and marketing guff though.

Dave
lorisarvendu

Postby lorisarvendu » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:38 am

Damn, forgot to scroll! Yes I see the indication now. No, she hasn't got that on any of hers, so I'm pretty certain it's because your mother has had a test too.
lorisarvendu

Postby peterd » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:29 pm

if he the father you would expect his match to you 459cm would be about 1500cm

if he your wife first cousin then DNA painter would match him around 866cm to her and of any of his kids would be 1C1R would be in your area 433 cm these have a % variable

is your wife mother or father about might be worth getting them tested if you can afford it,

i've also downloaded mine and my mother DNA file to disc so if any further generations want to continue my work they have the resource

peterd

Postby lorisarvendu » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:47 pm

So is this feasible?
Attachments
DNA.jpg
DNA.jpg (19.69 KiB) Viewed 9748 times
lorisarvendu

Postby peterd » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:33 pm

lorisarvendu wrote:So is this feasible?

most likely ask him if he want to know for sure tell him to take a DNA test then everyone mind will be eased :lol: :lol: :lol:

peterd

Postby lorisarvendu » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:27 pm

Interestingly my wife has a 2nd cousin on her mother's side who has also done the Ancestry DNA (and is a keen genealogist). I hit upon the idea of asking him to see if this mysterious woman was on his list of DNA matches. If she was a descendant of my wife's maternal uncle, then he would have her as a match (probably as a 3rd cousin). She is not on his list of matches. Which tells us that she is not from my wife's mother's side.

She is therefore from my wife's father's side. Which is just as awkward. My wife's father had two uncles, both of whom are dead, and both of whom lived in Nottingham all their lives, as did their parents. This woman's family are from London.

DNA can't lie I guess, but how the two families are connected we really can't figure out.
lorisarvendu

Postby peterd » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:35 pm

how old is she can you narrow down her age and search for her birth cert it might give you a parameter of the years you are looking at

peterd

Postby lorisarvendu » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:03 pm

We've broached the subject with the other DNA match and am at the point of sharing tree access. We both agree that there is definitely a false paternity event somewhere very close, the odd thing is that apart from each-other they do not seem to share any other DNA matches. I particular a 2nd cousin of my wife (common ancestor great-grandfather) does not appear on this new person's list of matches.

In a nutshell, we have three people who have taken DNA tests:

My wife, born mid 60s.
The DNA match, also born mid 60s
My wife's cousin on her mother's side

My wife is related to the DNA match (probability 1st-half-cousin)
My wife is related to her 2nd cousin
The DNA match is not related to my wife's cousin

I can't get my head round this. Surely she must have some DNA matches in common.
lorisarvendu

Postby peterd » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:03 pm

it must be related to your wife father side if not a match with the cousin on her mother side

peterd

Return to DNA Research