Silicone Bakeware

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, BC Wench

Silicone Bakeware

Postby Northern Lass » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:42 pm

Anyone use it?

I have just picked up some round cake ones loaf tin one and cup cakes one

are they any good?

what do I need to be aware of when using them? :?
Northern Lass

Re: Silicone Bakeware

Postby gardener » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:38 pm

I have several and love them, but a friend doesn't like the way they feel sort of greasy even when clean.
I usually grease and flour/cocoa them to be on the safe side. Depending on the sort, you may find that the base bulges down when you pick them up by the sides. If it is a soft cake like brownies then the top of the cake can be damaged when you take the cake out, unless you slide out the whole shelve or slide the cake onto something. But I am guessing you are going for fruitcake still? Does it have a sort of lip round the top? Is that a problem if you need to make a collar of paper to protect the cake from browning too fast? Perhaps a ring of baking paper inside, sticking above the tin, and then another sheet of paper loosely on top of that if the cake is browning fast?
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Postby Northern Lass » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:01 pm

Ok I understand greasing them but why flour them?

I was going to do the fruit cake I need in a tin one
when you say a collar is that where the baking paper comes above the tine vertically?

good point about the fruit cake browning too quick...........I will watch that.

These silicone ones have a lip so are you saying you could put baking sheet in those too?

Also what quantities do I do for a 7" an 8" And 10" sponge cake

I am going to have a go with the silicone 10 inch round one....it measures 10" from side to side not the inside edges
but outside to other side.
is that how you measure the tin?

so I was going to do for a sponge cake in 2 10" round tin (from o/s edge to o/s edge)
10 oz sr flour
10 oz caster sugar
10 oz butter
5 eggs

is that correct for a 2 10 inch round tins :?
Northern Lass

Postby gardener » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:45 pm

Did you swallow a question mark?

You measure the inside diameter of the tin. I have 20 cm diameter ones, and use a 3 egg recipe for two tins. But Mary Berry seems to use 4 so I guess it is a question of how deep you want the cake to end up.
http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/495 ... a-sandwich

The grease and flour thing just makes it less likely to stick in the bottom. If it is a chocolate cake then you use cocoa. Just butter the tin, add some flour and tilt the tin so it runs around and sticks to all the surface, then tip out the extra. Our you could grease and line with a paper disc.
gardener

Postby SRD » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:22 am

We use them occasionally, I'm not too keen as wheatfree flour mixtures seem to stick whatever I do but have used them for terrines etc. I also find turning them out tricky but that may have more to do with doing it one-handed, it's not a problem with terrines as we pop them in the freezer to stiffen them up before turning out. They do need supporting as they flex when leaving the oven which often breaks the pastry casing of pies or the body of cakes so we always place them on a metal baking tray or inside a metal tart/flan tin.
Generally for cakes we find metal tins lined with silicone paper the best option.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Postby Northern Lass » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:37 am

I will have a go with one later

Gardener that link I couldn't open!

so I have 2 10 inch round silicone cake bases to use
and will the 10oz mix divide into the 2 10 inch round bases ok?
will there be enuff mix?

seems to be you have to let the cake go really cold in the base before getting out :?
Northern Lass

Postby gardener » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:52 pm

I would boost it up to a 6 egg mixture. You should not leave it in the tin until it is cold, I think that makes it a bit soggy. 5-10 minutes is enough, then put a plate over the tin and tip onto that and then a wire rack onto the bottom of the cake and tip right way up to cool (so that you don't get wire marks on the top of the cake. If you only have one cooling rack then you can just do one that way and the other you have to manage using your hand and slide it onto the rack.
You taking a photo of this masterpiece?
gardener

Postby Northern Lass » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:57 pm

gardener wrote:I would boost it up to a 6 egg mixture. You should not leave it in the tin until it is cold, I think that makes it a bit soggy. 5-10 minutes is enough, then put a plate over the tin and tip onto that and then a wire rack onto the bottom of the cake and tip right way up to cool (so that you don't get wire marks on the top of the cake. If you only have one cooling rack then you can just do one that way and the other you have to manage using your hand and slide it onto the rack.
You taking a photo of this masterpiece?

No I am not!!

Did them today and they were awful!!
Greasy.....too moist and didnt rise well.

I think the problem is the silicone doesn't hold the cake firmly enuff.
So it expands out and not up.

Anyway this is what I did....I did an all in one sponge as I wanted to try that for a change..I normally do a trad vic sponge.

so I did this
greased silicone cup cake tray and greased loaf tins in silicone

I then did the following.
8oz Flour, Caster Sugar and butter
4 eggs
zest of orange and juice
drops of van essence
2 teaspoons bak powder

put it all in bowl and whisked
then put in oven at 160 C (my oven is hot)

I found them really greasy and no real rise in any of the bakes.
and I normally do a nice risen cake.

so ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(
Northern Lass

Postby gardener » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:24 pm

Hmm, you used SR flour I hope?

At school we used soft margarine as the fat for an all in one sponge. Now I often use butter and it is a little more oily I find, simply because there is more fat in butter than there is in a soft spread. Still, it should have risen. And don't blame the silicone bakeware :roll:
gardener

Postby Northern Lass » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:21 am

gardener wrote:Hmm, you used SR flour I hope?

At school we used soft margarine as the fat for an all in one sponge. Now I often use butter and it is a little more oily I find, simply because there is more fat in butter than there is in a soft spread. Still, it should have risen. And don't blame the silicone bakeware :roll:

Yep Sr flour

I think the silicone doesnt support the cake as it rises
whereas a rigid base does............that is what I think and you aint changin me :grin:

so maybe marg is better to use for an all in one.......delia did say that she preferred it too
Northern Lass

Return to Miscellaneous