Favourite recipe books.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, BC Wench

Favourite recipe books.

Postby SRD » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:38 am

My Mum swore by Katie Stewart's books but I tend to rely on an early 1960s copy of the 'Good Housekeeping's Cookery Book' for basics, topped up with a smattering of Delia's 3 part 'Cookery Course', although it's interesting how many of the recipes from the latter seem to match those in the former, including the mistakes. Delia does 'continentalise' a bit more, using ingredients that were more common in the 70's than the 50s & 60s.
Otherwise I find I use single recipes from a multitude of books or chase round the internet for recipes for the ingredients I've already got.

But for Christmas I was given 'Good Things in England' by Florence White. This is a lovely book for those that like traditional British cooking, with a wealth of recipes taken from the past and a paragraph or two about the origins or background of the dish.
Florence White founded 'The English Folk Cookery Association' (which folded soon after her death in 1940) and toured Britain finding old recipes and talking to old cooks and chefs about their skills and arts.
It isn't cheap for a paperback (if the price on the flyleaf is anything to go by) but if you want to try your hand at some traditional cooking it's worth a look. I haven't yet tried any of the recipes so can't judge as to how well the cooking instructions will transfer to modern equipment, but as long as you know your equipment and have some idea as to how the dish should turn out, you should be Ok.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Re: Favourite recipe books.

Postby Antie Em » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:19 am

I'lll put this on my Son in Law's Christmas list. He loves Delia, Mary Berry and Nigel Slater. Being Greek, he makes some wonderful Greek dishes - he has all his mom's hand written recipes. His daughter, now 11, is well into cooking and he enjoys their Sundays cooking together. She makes a "to die for" chocolate cake.
There's no place like home ......
Antie Em

Postby Margarett » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:23 am

I've got 2 that I always go to first. Delia's Complete Cookery Course, and a Stork cookery book that I had when I was doing cookery O level in the early 1970's.It was brought out when Stork S.B. (soft blend) was introduced. It has all the basic recipes you'd ever need, and I wouldn't dream of using a Christmas cake/special occasion cake recipe from anywhere else.
Margarett

Postby snoopysue » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:17 pm

Delia's always a safe bet, at least when I rewrite her recipes without all the detail! Mrs Beaton's okay too, with a splattering of Nigella (her meatballs in tomato sauce is always a winner).
Snoopysue

Logic merely enables one to be wrong with authority.
snoopysue

Postby Northern Lass » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:49 pm

I have Delias very good but the one from 1980 can't remember the name.

Good thread SRD I was only thinking the other day I would like a really good basic cookbook.
Northern Lass

Return to Miscellaneous