Ok I want to know a recipe pls for using a cheese sauce without the cornflour

say with cream and wine

say I was doing Prawns garlic and sauce what would I do pls
Northern Lass

Re: 2 cuisine questions

Postby peterd » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:57 pm

you dont have to use cornflour to thicken use arrowroot instead

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrowroot
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby Northern Lass » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:58 pm

peterd wrote:you dont have to use cornflour to thicken use arrowroot instead

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrowroot

I dont want to use any starch

next! :roll:
Northern Lass

Postby Rob » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:21 pm

Don't they eat deep fried mars bars up in Geordieland?
Rob

Postby Northern Lass » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:58 pm

BC Wench wrote:Would it be possible NL to have a Recipe Section on the forum, because I've decided to start cooking :o

My daughter, who's a brilliant cook (no idea who she follows), bought me a Recipe book for my birthday, you know the loose leaf books where you put in your own favourite recipes. She's put some recipes in the book to start me off.

Now, I'm not saying I can't cook, it's just that at times I get fed up with the meat and 2 veg type of cooking, I want something completely different, the way SRD (from the forum) and Nigel Slater cook.

OK Bc Wench you got it!

thanks admin :wink:

So we have our own section all you Cooking Gurus can enlighten us to make mouthwatering menus.

:grin:
Northern Lass

Postby SRD » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:26 am

Northern Lass wrote:Ok I want to know a recipe pls for using a cheese sauce without the cornflour

say with cream and wine

say I was doing Prawns garlic and sauce what would I do pls

It's not really possible as a cheese sauce is an amalgam of flour, fat and cheese, this is supposed to stop the cheese solids from separating out from the fat content (cracking, a bit like when your cooking with milk, cream, yoghurt etc and it separates.) You could try putting cheese and your liquor (stock, wine (with the alcohol boiled out) etc. into a food processor and whizzing it up but I suspect it would go stringy or separate as soon as it's heated. You need a Heston Blumenthal idea.
Why do you want to avoid the starch? It can't be for weight loss as the amount of calories in the tiny amount of flour used is nothing compared to that in the cheese.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Postby gardener » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:08 am

I do a sauce for pasta sometimes which is very finely chopped onion and bell/sweet pepper with bit of crushed garlic, gently fried to soften, then add lots of cream and reduce down. No cheese it that though.

And I also melt cream cheese into cream to make pasta sauce, you can use one with herbs or whatever already in it. That is plenty thick enough.

Ooh, just remembered Icelandic family sauce for barbeque meals. They sell small cheeses here which are covered in various seasonings, and I've had sauce made by taking a black pepper one of those, chopped up and melted in creaam. Sliced mushrooms can be added. I'll hunt out the recipe.

Any of these could have wine added if you reduced it down in a pan first and got rid of the alcohol. I reckon if you go with cream and a cream cheese then you can't go wrong. Not sure if you have cheese spread like we do. Snoops might know cos I think they have it in Denmark too.

-----------
Icelandic miushroom sauce

I box of mushrooms (? 250g), sliced
250 g cream (we only have one sort which is a bit thicker than whipping cream but higher fat than single)
250 g milk
50 g mushroom cheese (sort of flavoured cheese spread)
1 shalotte, chopped
1 garlic clove chopped
salt and pepper

Fry mushrooms, sweat shalotte and garlic, add rest of stuff and simmer til it is thick enough.
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Postby Northern Lass » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:41 am

Many thanks for the advice guys :grin:
Northern Lass

Postby snoopysue » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:59 pm

gardener wrote:Any of these could have wine added if you reduced it down in a pan first and got rid of the alcohol. I reckon if you go with cream and a cream cheese then you can't go wrong. Not sure if you have cheese spread like we do. Snoops might know cos I think they have it in Denmark too.

Do you mean something like philadelphia? There's that garlic cream cheese that comes in a jar too (can't remember the name). I've never tried putting cream cheese in a sauce though.

As for the apple crumble - cinnamon in with the apples, and possibly in the crumble. Sprinke porridge oats on top of the crumble - they get nicely toasted.
Snoopysue

Logic merely enables one to be wrong with authority.
snoopysue

Postby SRD » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:33 am

It's always worth checking the ingredients on many of those 'packaged' foods. Since I've had my wheat allergy and been checking the contents of stuff more closely I've been amazed at some of the things that are contained in 'prepared' foods. Various flours gets in everwhere, either as filler, thickener, colour, sweetener (check the source of the glucose), as do fats and oils that one wouldn't normally associate with the product (they thicken some products with an emulsification of oil/fat and water, another favourite additive).
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Return to Miscellaneous