Lemon Drizzle Cake

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, BC Wench

Lemon Drizzle Cake

Postby Lulu » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:37 pm

This is a really easy cake to make. My cake making improved hugely, when I bought a small, hand held, James Martin (Wahl) mixer. So the difference to the recipe, when I made it is I used the mixer, to get the butter and sugar mixed, then added the eggs and then at the flour stage, I started to do by hand and thought blow it and used the mixer on that stage too but was careful not to overdo it. If you are strong and can mix by hand, that's great but I have poor muscle tone and am cramped up after about 30 seconds. :roll:

CLICK HERE FOR LEMON DRIZZLE CAKE RECIPE

Oh... and I use salted butter, we always have done in our family and don't intend to stop now, it improves the taste hugely. If you don't get salted butter where you live, just add a pinch of salt at the butter creaming stage.
Just because you're Paranoid, it doesn't mean to say they're not out to get you.
Lulu

Re: Lemon Drizzle Cake

Postby Northern Lass » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:42 am

I cant get the link to load

can anyone else :(
Northern Lass

Postby Antie Em » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:53 am

Northern Lass wrote:I cant get the link to load

can anyone else :(

Nor me ....
There's no place like home ......
Antie Em

Postby Lulu » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:00 am

It's the BBC Good Food site, I left it running and finally it loaded and got message saying they have a technical issue, which they are working on and it relates to times when the site is busy. Must be all you lot trying to get the Lemon Drizzle recipe :lol: Sorry, I can't help, as I always get it from the BBC site and don't have it written down. :(
Just because you're Paranoid, it doesn't mean to say they're not out to get you.
Lulu

Postby Antie Em » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:15 am

Lulu wrote:It's the BBC Good Food site, I left it running and finally it loaded and got message saying they have a technical issue, which they are working on and it relates to times when the site is busy. Must be all you lot trying to get the Lemon Drizzle recipe :lol: Sorry, I can't help, as I always get it from the BBC site and don't have it written down. :(

Don't worry - we'll all have a piece of your's :-)
Antie Em

Postby Lulu » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:17 am

I just left it loading and it did take about 3 minutes but the recipe is coming up now, so get in there quick and print it off!! Normally, it loads in about 5 seconds, so this isn't how long it normally takes.

Sorry, Auntie Em, all gone. :(
Lulu

Postby Northern Lass » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:59 am

still cant get on

got on here
http://apotofteaandabiscuit.blogspot.co ... -cake.html
and they have posted this one....

is it the tana ramsey one
?

Tana Ramsey's Lemon Drizzle Cake

225g unsalted butter, softened
225g caster sugar
4 eggs
finely grated zest of 1 lemon
225g self-raising flour

juice of 1 1⁄2 lemon ----------------is this 1 and half?
85g caster sugar

Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4.

Beat together the butter and sugar until pale and creamy, then add the eggs, one at a time, slowly mixing through.

Sift in the flour, then add the lemon zest and mix until well combined.

Line a loaf tin (8 x 21cm) with greaseproof paper, then spoon in the mixture and level the top with a spoon.

Bake for 45-50 mins until a thin skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. (Mine took 60 minutes.)

While the cake is cooling in its tin, mix together the lemon juice and sugar to make the drizzle.

Prick the warm cake all over with a skewer or fork, then pour over the drizzle - the juice will sink in and the sugar will form a lovely, crisp topping.

Leave in the tin until completely cool, then remove and serve. Will keep in an airtight container for 3-4 days, or freeze for up to 1 month.
Northern Lass

Postby Lulu » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:14 am

Yes, those are the exact proportions, which I can recognise, now I see them but couldn't possibly have remembered by myself. :lol:

As I mentioned to you NL, I had a problem with cooking it at the temp for a fan assisted oven, I usually use the higher temp for none fan ovens, as mine never seems to cook on the lower fan temps. It rises beautifully but is slightly browner on the outside. This week I used the lower temp and it did take a long time, definitely an hour, as said above. Trouble is, I kept getting it out to test, after 45 mins, which meant it didn't rise up in the middle.

Next time, I will cook at about 165C (just slightly higher) and make myself not test it until at least 50 mins. The problem being, no two ovens seem to cook the same but this is only me being picky about the look of the thing. Whatever I do, the end result has always been lovely. :grin:
Lulu

Postby Northern Lass » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:23 am

So for fan asst maybe cook at 165?

if I cooked it at 180 in my fan oven I know it would burn it

deffo having a go at this next week
are the quantities correct then Lulu?
it is 1 and a half lemons ?
Northern Lass

Postby Lulu » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:32 am

I think it's a case of knowing your oven, I suspect mine is cooler than it thinks it is, yours may be ok at 160 C probably better lower, than burning.

Yes, it's one and a half, I still have the half lemon left over. Just remembered, I actually used the zest from both lemons, as this Blogger said, her preferred recipe is more lemony and I like a strong lemon flavour.
Lulu

Postby peterd » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:32 am

Northern Lass wrote:So for fan asst maybe cook at 165?

if I cooked it at 180 in my fan oven I know it would burn it

deffo having a go at this next week
are the quantities correct then Lulu?
it is 1 and a half lemons ?

no it says 160
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby Lulu » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:41 am

Sorry Pete, I think we may have confused you. It does seem that for myself and the lady who wrote the blog that NL posted that 160 is a bit low. Possibly the woman (Tina) who first wrote the recipe has a hot oven. So I think it would be worth trying a slightly higher temp than in the recipe.
Lulu

Postby Lulu » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:42 am

It's certainly worth trying Pete and you can offer it to your guests when they arrive and they will love your forever. :wink:
Lulu

Postby cid » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:56 pm

Just waiting for one to cool down before sampling ...mmmm :lol: :lol:
cid

Postby Antie Em » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:45 pm

cid wrote:Just waiting for one to cool down before sampling ...mmmm :lol: :lol:

Send us a slice .....
Antie Em

Next