Chocolate Banana Cake

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, BC Wench

Chocolate Banana Cake

Postby rotti » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:51 am

I always end up having a couple of bananas that have gone black and as I hate wasting food (as my waistline confirms :shock: ) I use them for this recipe. It makes a lovely moist cake and is particularly nice when it is still slightly warm and the chocolate is slightly melted

Ingredients

450g SR flour
1 level tsp baking powder
325g soft brown sugar
175g softened butter
3 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
6 ripe bananas (riper the better, they can be black!)
6-8 tbsp milk
200g bar of good quality plain chocolate

Method

Measure flour, baking powder, sugar, butter, eggs, vanilla extract and bananas into a bowl and use a potato masher to squash the mixture all together, mixing it well.

Add enough milk to make a dropping consistency. Cut each of the chocolate squares into 4 - 6 pieces (the easiest way to do this is unwrap the bar on a chopping board, cut along the grooves then keeping it all in place, cut each square into quarters). Stir the chocolate pieces into the mixture.

I line a tin with Bake-O-Glide (because it makes life so much easier when it comes to turning the cake out) then pour the mixture in the tin.

Cook at the centre of a preheated oven for about 45 mins (190 deg C, 375 deg F, Gas Mark 5)

AGA: cook on 3rd set of runners in Baking Oven for aprox 45 Mins

Allow to cool in tin for aprox 20 mins before turning out to cool completely
Work is the curse of the drinking classes.
Oscar Wild
rotti

Re: Chocolate Banana Cake

Postby rotti » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:57 am

Oops, forgot to add that this recipe comes from Patricia Dunbar, an AGA & Rayburn demonstrator who used to be the Home Economist for Cadbury - what a job! :grin: )
Work is the curse of the drinking classes.
Oscar Wild
rotti

Postby Northern Lass » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:43 pm

Ooooh! will give this a go thanks rotti! :P
Northern Lass

Postby snoopysue » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:36 pm

Sounds good, although I'd have to buy about 30 bananas at once to end up with six over ripe ones in our house! :-)
Snoopysue

Logic merely enables one to be wrong with authority.
snoopysue

Postby Lulu » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:10 am

Rotti gave me this recipe a while ago and I made it and it was lovely, even though i made a mistake with the amount of Chocolate and didn't have as much as I needed (due to my not converting grammes to ounces very well :oops: ) It was a lovely cake but I know would have been better with the right amount used. So if your scales are in ounces, make sure you do your conversions properly. Of course, If I had my wits about me, I would have looked at the pack, where it shows the weight in grams. :roll:
Just because you're Paranoid, it doesn't mean to say they're not out to get you.
Lulu

Return to Cakes & Biscuits