Danish Rice Pudding

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, BC Wench

Danish Rice Pudding

Postby snoopysue » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:36 pm

I've just mixed up my mincemeat ready for all those mincepies.

Hopefully I'll get around to doing my Christmas puds next week - big responsibility as my parents are coming - usually they bring the pud with them! Mum's quite happy she doesn't have to do it this year (unless my sister requests one!!).
In my family we put guiness in, so the leftover guiness will go in a beef stew - yum! I'm doing mini puds,mainly because my husband doesn't like dried fruit so it's easier - then I can have a pud whenever I like!

I've also going to be trying out a danish rice pudding "Ris a la mande" - rice pudding with almonds. It's a cold rice pudding mixed with whipped cream, vanilla sugar and chopped almonds served with a hot cherry sauce. The tradition is to put one whole almond in, and whoever finds it gets a present.

The plan is to do both a traditional British and Danish Christmas meals - not on the same day though!!
Snoopysue

Logic merely enables one to be wrong with authority.
snoopysue

Re: Getting ready for Christmas

Postby grangers14 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:25 am

Mmm that rice pudding sounds nice how do you do it?
Jo :)
grangers14

Postby snoopysue » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:57 pm

Danish Rice Pudding

2.25dl pudding rice (just under 1 cup)
2.5dl water (1 cup)
1 liter milk

Sprinkle the rice into the boiling water in a saucepan and cook for 2 minutes. Gradually add the milk and bring to the boil stirring continually. Put the lid on the saucepan and cook with low heat, stirring regularly. Cook for about 35mins. Can be eaten warm with salt(!?) cinnamon and sugar, or a knob of butter

For the Danish Rice Pudding with Almonds
Leave to cool down, preferably over night.
1/2 portion of Danish rice pudding
1 dessert spoon sugar or icing sugar
3 tsp vanilla sugar

50g almonds
2dl double cream

Peel and chop the almonds, mix into the rice pudding, along with the sugar. Whisk the cream and fold in. Add extra sugar/ vanilla sugar to taste
Serve with hot cherry sauce. As far as danish Christmas tradition goes you put one whole almond in, whoever gets it, is supposed to hide it in their cheek until all the pudding has been eaten. They then get a present, which is usually chocolate or sweets.

This recipe is from the box the rice comes in, haven't tried it yet, and they forgot to say when to add the sugar and vanilla sugar!!! I'll try it in the next few weeks and report back :wink:
(You used to be able to buy morello cherries in a sort of bag, as I remember they were in a kind of sauce - I think if you warmed it up, it'd be close to the danish sauce).
Last edited by snoopysue on Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snoopysue

snoopysue

Postby Antie Em » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:59 pm

The Danish one sound lovely Snoops - I'll e mail the recipe to our family chef :-)
There's no place like home ......
Antie Em

Postby snoopysue » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:51 pm

Antie Em wrote:The Danish one sound lovely Snoops - I'll e mail the recipe to our family chef :-)

It's maybe a good idea to taste to see how much vanilla sugar you need, I know my husband likes a lot in!
Snoopysue

snoopysue

Postby snoopysue » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:30 pm

Made my rice pud yesterday and today! Did the basic yesterday, then after a night in the fridge, added the sugar, almonds and whipped cream today. We ended up putting way more vanilla sugar in than it said in the recipe. First tasting was given the thumbs up by my husband - we've got friends coming over tonight, so they are the real guinee pigs!

I've updated the recipe above!
Snoopysue

snoopysue

Postby snoopysue » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:02 am

My rice pud went down a treat! Got the thumbs up from our friends!

As for the warm cherry sauce I bourght a jar of desert cherries and added some cornflour, warmed it through in a saucepan, it was ready in no time. The portion in the recipe is ideal for four.

Made my Christmas puds the other day too. Only problem was I forgot to butter the moulds, so they were a little difficult to get out!
My mincemeat should be almost ready to eat soon too! Wonder if I can wait until the beginning of December before I make some?
Snoopysue

snoopysue

Re: Danish Rice Pudding

Postby BC Wench » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:51 pm

Hello snoopysue,

I've changed the Subject to your Danish Rice Pudding recipe.
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Re: Danish Rice Pudding

Postby snoopysue » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:57 am

BC Wench wrote:Hello snoopysue,

I've changed the Subject to your Danish Rice Pudding recipe.

No problem! :wink:
Snoopysue

snoopysue

Return to Puddings & Desserts