Bread pudding recipes?

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, BC Wench

Bread pudding recipes?

Postby rockyfowler » Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:48 pm

Has anyone know a good one to try please ? Seen this one just ordered a few ingredients to try it :grin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_PLyj9-nPw
“You know you’re getting old when you stoop to tie your shoelaces and wonder what else you could do while you’re down there.” ― George Burns
rockyfowler

Re: Bread pudding recipes?

Postby rockyfowler » Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:40 pm

Tried it really good :grin: thanks anyway seen lots on google so will be on a bread pudding diet for a week or two :wink:
“You know you’re getting old when you stoop to tie your shoelaces and wonder what else you could do while you’re down there.” ― George Burns
rockyfowler

Postby gardener » Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:42 pm

Glad it turned out well. I think I used this recipe https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/panettone-pudding once when I was given an extra panettone by a shop that had bought too many
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Postby rockyfowler » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:23 pm

Thanks for that - panettone is bit too posh for us so may have to give it amiss it`s £7 at Tescos :shock:
rockyfowler

Postby SRD » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:18 am

Hmm, that first recipe is as much an omelette as a bread pudding, I think bread pudding should be dense enough to sink a battleship. I use Delia's recipe from her first complete cookery course book but only use the crusts left over from loaves (I keep them in the freezer until there are enough), a tip I picked up from a sandwich maker who didn't want to waste what was left over from her sandwich business. The bread does need a bit longer soaking though otherwise lumps of bread can be found in the stodge of the pudding. I also find that using all the bits of seeds etc. that fall off wholemeal or granary seeded breads adds to the flavour.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Postby rockyfowler » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:04 pm

That`s the one I need thanks- the one to sink a battleship :grin: they sell it in some old bake shops but no way to use them at moment :-) The ones made to date all seem American style very sweet and creamy but not like a blackcountry one as you described :o
rockyfowler

Postby SRD » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:48 am

Delia's Bread pudding recipe
8oz bread (she cuts off the crusts but see my note earlier)
1/2 pt milk
2 oz butter (melted)
3 oz soft brown sugar (you can use any sugar but soft dark brown is best)
2 level teaspoons mixed spice
1 egg beaten
6 oz mixed dried fruit - currants, raisins, sultanas, candied peel (but you can use any mix of dried fruit you prefer)
grated rind of half an orange
freshly grated nutmeg

Pre-heat oven to gas 4 350F 180C
A 2 pint baking dish/tin buttered (I use a silicone small loaf tin)
Break bread into small pieces, place in a bowl and pour the milk over it. Leave for at least 30 mins. (I give it a stir every so often to make sure all the bread is wet and sometimes add a bit more milk if it seems very dry)
Add melted butter, sugar, mixed spice and egg and beat the mixture with a fork making sure there are no lumps.
Stir in the fruit and orange rind, spoon into baking dish and level off the top, sprinkle with grated nutmeg and bake for 75 minutes.
Remove from oven and allow to cool before turning out.
It freezes well.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Postby Northern Lass » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:02 am

moving to recipe section
Northern Lass

Postby rockyfowler » Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:56 pm

Thank you for that I`l make it soon :grin: :thumbup:
That`s a very good tip about using the crusts up will save mine now :grin:
rockyfowler

Return to Puddings & Desserts