Faggots

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, BC Wench

Faggots

Postby gardener » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:02 pm

We seem to have revived the foodie bit :-)

It is slaughter season here. The traditional thing to do is buy multiples of 5 "slaughters", so you get 5 heads, hearts etc and a lot of blood, then you spend time cutting and sewing the stomachs and fill them to make a sort of haggis and a version of black pudding.

The only thing that I ever make is the haggis-like "liver sausage", so I have to off-load the other stuff to the in-laws. This year I bought the liver, kidney and fat individually, and plan on using artificial skins for them.

In the summer I stayed in a hotel near Shrewsbury and had some wonderful lamb faggots, so I'm going to have a go at recreating those. The recipe is a bit fancy, what with using port to de-glaze after frying the chopped shallots and garlic, but I think they will be delicious.

Has anyone got a "proper" faggot recipe that they are willing to share? My recipe has lamb in it, making it suitable for Iceland, but I am pretty sure that the East Midlands ones are just pork and seasoned quite differently.
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Re: Faggots

Postby SRD » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:22 am

I've not tried making faggots myself as we have a good supply of gluten free ones from a local butcher but this recipe and the following comments look pretty good. I'd definitely go for a bit of softened onion in the mix and would use white pepper as it seems to give a more 'old-fashioned' taste. And for me a faggot isn't a faggot without the caul fat wrapped round it.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Postby gardener » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:03 pm

That recipe looks good :-)

I'm using what I hope is the lamb equivalent of caul fat. They sell bags of internal fat here, and some of it is a network of fat "veins" in a thin membrane, so I reckon that will work.

I just finished making the Icelandic haggis things, and I have everything minced and ready to go for the faggots.
gardener

Postby Antie Em » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:00 pm

My mom makes the best black country faggots - well she used to - can't use the mincer now. I'll ask her for the recipe when I see her at the weekend xx
There's no place like home ......
Antie Em

Postby gardener » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:35 pm

Thanks. Maybe I could try that one next :-)
gardener

Return to Main Meals