Risotto recipe pls

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, BC Wench

Risotto recipe pls

Postby Northern Lass » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:23 am

Can someone or loads of you give me some risotto recipes pls.

I have never cooked one and tried it on sat....disaster.

I wanted to do Turkey mince risotto so I did this.

Turkey mince
mushrooms
peppers
onion
arborrio rice..or whatever it is called 500g.
Stock
seasoning

I did this..

Fried mince
then onion
then peppers

then chucked in rice and kept stirring so all the rice was getting coated with the mix in there.
added bit of stock

kept stirring

chucked in mushrooms
added more stock

kept stirring and seasoned
added bit more stock...used 3/4 pt stock

didnt use any more stock as looked bit wet

kept stirring for 15 mins in total

rice was cooked but it looked like porridge oats!!

looked awful.

tasted just ok...so my question is...if I want to add say meat or prawns to risotto rice at what stage do I do it.

and

if the meat is raw do I add to the rice as it is cooking so it cooks too..or do I cook the raw meat and other ingredients separately and then add to rice at end...

:?
Northern Lass

Re: Risotto recipe pls

Postby Rob » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:22 pm

I've got nothing to do at the minute so i thought i'd react....You're concentrating too much on the rissoto.Relax ....
I do a devine Sausage Saffron Rissoto.
Remove the sausage skin and break the meat into pieces. If you are using fresh pork, season it with pepper, salt and nutmeg. If using saffron strands, toast them for a few seconds, but be careful not to burn them. Reduce them to powder.
Fry the onion in the oil and half the butter, then add the sausage meat or the seasoned minced pork. After the onion has turned golden and the meat has browned, add the wine. Let this evaporate for a couple of minutes before pouring in the rice. You start to add the hot stock when the rice has absorbed all the butter and oil and when it begins to stick to the pan. Proceed now as for the basic risotto method, adding more salt, pepper and the saffron as you progress.
When the rice is al dente, incorporate the remaining butter and half the cheese. Serve with the rest of the grated cheese on top. Important is that the rice is Al Dente !!

300g (10 1/2 oz) luganega pork sausage, or fresh minced pork
4 grates of nutmeg (optional)
2 sachets powdered saffron, or 10 saffron strands
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
55g (2 oz) butter
75ml (2 1/2 fl oz) dry white wine
350g (12 oz) risotto rice
1.7 litres (3 pints) beef stock
115g (4 oz) Parmesan, freshly grated
Salt and pepper to taste
Rob

Postby Northern Lass » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:18 am

Thanks for that

but what is the basic procedure for risotto rice after it has absorbed the butter juice.

and why so much stock...3pts...does it absorb that much ?

I used 500g of rice...

can someone tell me what ratio of rice I have to use pls for 500g of rice (the italian arborry thingy)

cos I never know how much stock to use which is why never made it.
Northern Lass

Postby SRD » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:33 am

I like the look of Rob's recipe but in my experience the rice is usually cooked separately and the 'filling' added in the later stages of cooking.

So prepare your meat/fish/vegetables beforehand and use the cooking liquor and pan to make the stock.

With rice I tend to cook in volumes so I use quarter of a cup (60ml) of rice per head. This can be increased to third of a cup (80ml) if hungry.
Soften half a shallott per head in a mix of butter & olive oil (for 2 I use about a tablespoon/15ml of each).
Some recipes (especially Claudia Roden's Risotto Milanese) call for wine to be added to the softened onion and then the mix reduced by 50% by boiling before adding the rice and gently stirring it to coat the grains before adding the stock. Others stir the rice into the butter/onion mix 'til well coated before the stock goes in. I can't really give a specific quantity of liquid, it depends on all sorts of things, I make up 250 ml (for two of us) in a small saucepan to start with but add more water to the pan as I go along, it must be kept hot and should be added in small quantities (around a third of a cup/80ml) until absorbed before the next lot goes in. Over vigourous stirring and/or too much liquid at one time tend to give a more porridgy result and you can't leave the risotto to it's own resources or it will stick. About five minutes before the rice is done (and only experience will tell you when this is, I still get it wrong sometimes) add the pre-cooked meat/fish/veg to make sure it comes up to heat. Once the rice is cooked stir in the cheese (use fresh Parmesan, ready grated is foul) and leave to stand for a few seconds so that the cheese melts into the rice before serving it.

A couple of further points,I note that Rob adds salt, most commercial sausages already have a far daffy of salt in them and if you're using stock cubes there's likely to be more salt there, also salt can affect the absorption rate, so I tend not to add any extra salt in the cooking process.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Postby Rob » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:35 am

So true SRD.Too much salt is a killer.Also fresh Parmesan is a must.
Rob

Postby Northern Lass » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:41 am

Thanks srd :wink:
Northern Lass

Return to Main Meals