Chuck steak

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, BC Wench

Chuck steak

Postby Northern Lass » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:13 pm

Good recipe pls for Chuck steak

I did it with coating meat in flour and then braising for 2 hrs with onion and 2 stock cubes

needed more time and somat else ....

ideas pls
Northern Lass

Re: Chuck steak

Postby SRD » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:09 am

I'd have thought two hours should have been plenty for chuck, it's pretty much a braising steak not a stewing, but meat can toughen if boiled too hot. Young chuck can almost be eaten like rib eye steak.
I would have browned the meat in batches first. Removed it from the pan. Fried some thinly sliced onion 'til lightly caramelised then added some larger onion slices 'til transparent then add a crushed garlic clove and fry for 30 seconds or so, return the meat to the pan then add beer (different beers will give different results) and one of the stock cubes, bring to the boil and turn down to a very low simmer.

But you can add any number of other things as well as/instead of stock - a tin of chopped tomatoes and a sprinkle of oregano, the stock with a couple of tablespoons of tomato purée, sherry or wine vinegar, Worcestershire Sauce (or its local equivalent), soy sauce, semi-dried prunes for a fruity option, a tin of chick peas will make it go further etc. etc.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Postby Northern Lass » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:56 am

Thanks Srd so if I do it on the hob and simmer how long for?
Northern Lass

Postby SRD » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:47 am

I find a lot of hobs simmer quite hot, especially with good quality saucepans, heat diffusers can help but a low oven (no more than 120C, frequently lower) will do the job, experimentation and frequent checking until you're sure of the performance of the machine is the answer, we tend to get used to our own ovens/hobs over time and often moan when a new one acts differently to the one we're used to.
As far as how long, I've had a good piece of chuck cooked in 40 minutes but a less well hung one (behave yourselves) may take a couple of hours. I tend to make my casserole type dishes the day before anyway, just in case the cooking times are out of the ordinary, and the flavours deepen with a bit of overnight resting time.
SRD

Postby Northern Lass » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:03 am

Ok so start it off on hob then move to oven is that what you mean?
Northern Lass

Postby SRD » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:01 am

That's right. If your casserole isn't flame proof use a large frying pan to brown the meat and do it hot and fast and in small batches if necessary; you don't want it to steam in the liquor that runs out but fry properly so let the pan return to heat between batches. You can use some of the cooking liquor (stock, beer etc.) to deglaze the frying pan and scrape up all the browned bits to add to the casserole or you can use a bit of something else, I like to use Noilly Prat as it has a herby, sweet flavour that adds to the casserole, but sherry or vinegar (cider or white wine for pork or chicken, red wine or sherry for beef or lamb but not malt, it's too strong, or experiment for yourself, I had an excellent result a while back cooking young lamb with a splash of white wine vinegar) or wine can be used. Don't use too much and keep tasting, it's easy to add more but impossible to take it out once it's in. It may taste a little harsh at first but over a long slow cook the flavours even out and meld in.
SRD

Postby Northern Lass » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:06 am

Thanks SRD :wink:
Northern Lass

Postby Rob » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:46 am

I may be going to try this,it sounds delicious but it's just the name "Chuck Steak" putting me off.
Why is it called by this name, Chuck?
Rob

Postby Northern Lass » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:15 pm

Rob wrote:I may be going to try this,it sounds delicious but it's just the name "Chuck Steak" putting me off.
Why is it called by this name, Chuck?

dunno but think it goes by BLade steak too and is shoulder steak
Northern Lass

Postby SRD » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:01 am

Sometimes it's called chuck & blade or shoulder.
It's interesting, the BBC food pages say it's one of the tougher cuts of beef due to all the work it's done and recommend it for long, slow cooking but elsewhere it's said to be able to be used like frying or braising steak.
SRD

Postby dudleytaylor » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:08 am

Its the fore quarter of the animal, used for slow roasting, stewing or a cheap steak. Chin of beef also comes from this part of the animal. The meat always needs tenderising before use ether by sealing over heat or tenderising with a wooden tool.( I use a rolling pin). :grin:
It's easy to stand with the crowd . It takes courage to stand alone
dudleytaylor

Location: Living in Worcestershire,Paternal Family from Dudley,Maternal family from Oldbury

Postby Margarett » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:36 am

Do you mean shin of beef, DT? That's my favourite cut for long slow cooking in a casserole.
Margarett

Postby dudleytaylor » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:23 pm

Margarett wrote:Do you mean shin of beef, DT? That's my favourite cut for long slow cooking in a casserole.

Shin is off the same fore Quarter, but its off the leg, which is used for casseroles and stews, and the other is nearer to the shoulder. My husband was a butcher,so he tells me where all the parts come from .Also being a butcher he was told the best way to use each joint. It has all changed now since he was a butcher .With alot of butchers going out of business due to supermarkets, you do not always have the advice your local butcher can give you. My husband was a butcher at Bates Cape Hill Smethwick, they had their own slaughter house. He worked for Wilsons and Lows. Mostly around Smethwick and Warley.
dudleytaylor

Location: Living in Worcestershire,Paternal Family from Dudley,Maternal family from Oldbury

Postby Rob » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:41 pm

Chin of Beef? Wouldn't that be tough and need to be very slowly cooked?
Rob

Postby dudleytaylor » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:40 pm

Rob wrote:Chin of Beef? Wouldn't that be tough and need to be very slowly cooked?

It is best to cook it slow,and it can be grisly :-) .
dudleytaylor

Next

Return to Main Meals