Honey & Mustard Roast Ham

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, BC Wench

Honey & Mustard Roast Ham

Postby mallosa » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:18 pm

We had a bit of a get together last weekend for our daughters birthday....besides cooking a massive Chilli to go with Jacket Potatoes and loads of other bits & bobs,
I'd bought a 6 and a half pound ham joint from Sainsburys (still going for half price at the mo)

Covered loosely with foil and baked in the oven as instructed (easy peasy) for approx 3hrs
Removed foil and outer skin & fat, coated with natural honey, then wholegrain mustard.
Popped back in the oven (uncovered) for another 30-35 minutes - delicious!

Just placed on a plate in the middle of the table so everyone could cut and help themselves, along with crusty bread, salad etc
When I next looked, it had all gone! :roll: Next time I'll make sure I serve the Chilli etc. first :lol:
Last edited by mallosa on Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
mallosa

Re: Honey & Mustard Roast Ham

Postby Northern Lass » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:29 pm

did you have to soak it?
Northern Lass

Postby mallosa » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:37 pm

No! Just took off the wrapping and gave it a wipe with kitchen towel :grin:
and no, it wasn't salty and it was cooked to perfection :wink:

Everyone loved it and my friend (who's a brilliant cook) woke me up this morning to ask how I had cooked it cos she was going to Sainsburys to by one.
If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
mallosa

Postby Northern Lass » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:51 pm

right I will have a go

I have never cooked a piece of ham and havent a clue
Northern Lass

Postby mallosa » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:57 pm

Actually I made a mistake in the weight (I've edited above, no good at metric stuff) it was Sainsbury's Gammon Large Boneless Joint, Unsmoked (approx. 2.75kg)

Save 50% - was £7.99 per kg and now £3.99 per kg

mallosa

Postby grangers14 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:10 pm

Oh I will try that too, thanks!
I normally boil mine first and do my peas pudding in the water, then bake it, but I will do it but do peas pudding another way! :grin:
grangers14

Postby peterd » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:30 pm

jo pease pudding they wont have a clue :lol:

you could make leek broth :wink:
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby Annie » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:36 pm

mallosa wrote:We had a bit of a get together last weekend for our daughters birthday....besides cooking a massive Chilli to go with Jacket Potatoes and loads of other bits & bobs,
I'd bought a 6 and a half pound ham joint from Sainsburys (still going for half price at the mo)

Covered loosely with foil and baked in the oven as instructed (easy peasy) for approx 3hrs
Removed foil and outer skin & fat, coated with natural honey, then wholegrain mustard.
Popped back in the oven (uncovered) for another 30-35 minutes - delicious!

Just placed on a plate in the middle of the table so everyone could cut and help themselves, along with crusty bread, salad etc
When I next looked, it had all gone! :roll: Next time I'll make sure I serve the Chilli etc. first :lol:

Like the sound of that Mally, like Grangers I normally boil mine first but will give that a go , hope they are still on offer. :grin:
Annie

Postby mallosa » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:05 pm

Annie/Jo being married to an Irishman, I have always boiled mine and cooked the cabbage in that water (not adding salt)
Passed down from his 'mammy' :grin: and we've always enjoyed it with potatoes and 'Chef' sauce (Irish)

I must say though, i do prefer the flavour of it roasted!

mallosa

Postby Annie » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:45 pm

Mally what is 'Chef' Sauce and how do you make it please. :oops:

Annie
Annie

Postby mallosa » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:22 pm

It's from a bottle Annie.... this one

mallosa

Postby Annie » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:04 pm

mallosa wrote:It's from a bottle Annie.... this one

Thank you Mally thought it was the kind you make yourself .

Annie
Annie

Return to Main Meals