Miller / Millar , that is the question :)

Filed surname additions added to the main surname list.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, Rob

Miller / Millar , that is the question :)

Postby Daredevil » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:41 pm

Daredevil wrote:Hi,

all your comments are very interesting. I found out yesterday that my Great Grandfather called himself Edmund Miller Loan, but his father called himself Thomas Miller. We all thought 'Loan' was Edmunds' middle name. However, my surname is now spelled Millar. So someone has been tinkering somewhere :shock: :D

Cheers

Ian

Further to my last comment....

If my Great Grandfather (Edmund Miller Lone / Loan) was born illigitametly (pardon the spelling), how can i find out if Thomas Miller, whom married Edmunds Mother 6 months later, was his real father? All very confusing. Edmunds mother Elizabeth named him Edmund Miller Lone in the birth registry but the father's name was ommitted, although he was illegitimate. Later, Edmund named himself Edmund Loan Millar. This is on his death entry, and says ' (Formerly named Edmund Miller Loan) '.
Any idea's anyone? :)
Cheers
Ian
Daredevil

Re: Miller / Millar , that is the question :)

Postby Alec » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:15 pm

:) Hi Ian

I can't believe this relatively simple query has been sat here almost a year, had over 400 views and not a single reply, not even from the Admin! :shock:

I see you are a relative newcomer to genealogy so I hope this experience hasn't put you off, its not the norm

Firstly I will tell you that you can't give too much information only too little. Your query lacks dates and places and doesn't give Elizabeth's surname, these are important because census lookups can often give an insight into the situation.

Speculating on what you have said it would seem, for whatever reason, the father [presumably Thomas Miller] could not at that time marry Elizabeth Lone[?] and so when she registered their son's birth it had to be in her name so she second named him Miller after Thomas.

If you add everything you know of dates and places someone will lookup censuses for you [or should!] providing further family details Good luck 8) -Alec
Alec

Return to Archive