SCANTLEBURY, Looe, Cornwall, c1875

Filed surname additions added to the main surname list.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass, Rob

SCANTLEBURY, Looe, Cornwall, c1875

Postby apw6270 » Fri May 19, 2006 12:22 am

I am looking for SCANTLEBURYs living in Looe in Cornwall circa 1875.

I have my great-grandmothers marriage certificate which shows that she married in Looe/Liskeard in 1903 at the age of 24, which means that she was born in 1878/79, but i cannot find her birth index or census entries (not even in 1901). :cry:
apw6270

Postby apw6270 » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:42 am

Her name was Harriet Anne Scantlebury and her father was Charles Scantlebury.

I've searched for both of them but cannot find anything.

Charles Scantlebury was deceased at the time of Harriet's marriage (12 Apr 1903).
apw6270

Re: SCANTLEBURY, Looe, Cornwall, c1875

Postby apw6270 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:50 pm

Hello again.

I've finally sorted them out, but it was quite a challenge.

Harriet Ann Scantlebury is registered as Skentlebury, and her father Charles Scantlebury is registered as Charles Mutton Scantelberry (note the spellings).

The birth certificate for Charles states first names as Charles Mutton, mother as Harriet Scantlebury, but no father. Five weeks after Charles was born, his mother married a John Mutton. In all censuses for Charles (as a child and an adult), his surname is Mutton. He signed his marriage certificate Charles Mutton Scantlebury. His children appear in the censuses as Mutton, even though he registered them as Scantlebury!

Harriet Ann (my g-grandmother, daughter of Charles) was also a bit confused - her declared maiden name for her first child is Mutton, but for her second and subsequent children it's Scantlebury!

Alan.
apw6270

Re: SCANTLEBURY, Looe, Cornwall, c1875

Postby Alec » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:08 am

apw6270 wrote:Hello again.

I've finally sorted them out, but it was quite a challenge.

Harriet Ann Scantlebury is registered as Skentlebury, and her father Charles Scantlebury is registered as Charles Mutton Scantelberry (note the spellings).

..................Charles Mutton Scantlebury. His children appear in the censuses as Mutton, even though he registered them as Scantlebury!

Harriet Ann (my g-grandmother, daughter of Charles) was also a bit confused - her declared maiden name for her first child is Mutton, but for her second and subsequent children it's Scantlebury!

Alan.

:? Hi Alan

You need to search for this family in both names.

The problem is Charles was a 'Scantlebury' [no proof of father although no doubt was John] subsequent children born to first Harriet were of course in her married name 'Mutton'

Charles' line should have continued as 'Scantlebury' but having been brought up under his stepfather/father's name with all his siblings he used the name of Mutton and as you say "His children appear in the censuses as Mutton, even though he registered them as Scantlebury!" Obviously his daughter Harriet Ann Scantlebury believed her name to be Mutton and named her firstborn this then probably found out her proper surname Scantlebury and named subsequent accordingly but the confusing thing is she married in the name of Scantlebury! :(

Deaths Mar 1890

Scantlebury Charles Mutton age 34 Liskeard 5c 52
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marriages Jun 1903

Scantlebury Harriet Anne Liskeard 5c 103
Alec

Forums need to be visited regularly and should be living things full of lively members not absent strangers!
Alec

Return to Archive