The Crown, Carter's Green, West Bromwich, Staffs.

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass

The Crown, Carter's Green, West Bromwich, Staffs.

Postby Janny » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:33 pm

The Crown, Carter’s Green, West Bromwich, Staffordshire

My 3 x great grandfather was named Richard Davis & during his lifetime he was the licensee of various places in Wednesbury & West Bromwich. The first pub that I know of connected to Richard was the Red Lion in Bridge Street in Wednesbury & I believe that he held the licence there from the late 1820’s through till 1842. I have a record from an old directory dated 1845 which shows that he was then a retailer of beer with the address being 14 Suffolk Street but I do not know whether this was in Wednesbury or West Bromwich.
Richard Davis’s next known placement was as the licensee of the Junction Inn Hotel in West Bromwich with him being there for the period of around 1860/1861. I understand that the Junction Inn was also known as the Junction Stores & as The Tramway in other periods of it’s existence.
Richard spent the last years of his life as the licensee of the Crown in Carter’s Green in West Bromwich ~ his death certificate dated 1872 states that he was an inn keeper.
I would very much like to learn any information at all relating to the Crown to know what sort of establishment it was where my ancestor spent his last years & if anyone knows of any old photo’s I would be most grateful please. I do not know the exact address for the pub & only know that it was situated in Carter’s Green.
Should anyone know any information that they could possibly share with me relating to the Crown that would be great & if anyone knows of any info relating to the Red Lion & the Junction Inn too I would love to hear from you please.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thank you.
Janny

Re: The Crown, Carter's Green, West Bromwich, Staffs.

Postby Antie Em » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:33 am

Here is a very good site for Black Country Pubs with free downloads

http://www.longpull.co.uk

Maggie
There's no place like home ......
Antie Em

Postby Northern Lass » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:52 am

Moving this to the BC history pubs section :grin:
Northern Lass

Postby Janny » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:12 am

Antie Em wrote:Here is a very good site for Black Country Pubs with free downloads

http://www.longpull.co.uk

Maggie

Great, I'll check that out ~ Thank you.
Janny

Postby Janny » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:13 am

Northern Lass wrote:Moving this to the BC history pubs section :grin:

Thanks, I wasn't sure where best to post it.
Janny

Return to Black Country Pubs