The Village Inn, Alma Street, Wednesbury

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass

The Village Inn, Alma Street, Wednesbury

Postby snoopysue » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:38 am

Does anybody know what happened to the old Village Inn on Alma Street in the Mesty Croft area of Wednesbury? Thomas Wearing was the publican in the 1860's and 70's. Thomas was there from at least 1860-1872, but his probate record has him at New Town.

Looking on Google maps, there is still a pub there, but it is a modern building.
Snoopysue

Logic merely enables one to be wrong with authority.
snoopysue

Re: The Village Inn, Alma Street, Wednesbury

Postby Antie Em » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:58 am

From Tony Hichmough's Black Country Pubs :

The Village Inn, Alma Street/Elwell Street, New Town, Mesty Croft, Wednesbury

Thomas Wearing was the Licensee 1861 - 1873

The new building next to the original house was opened in June 1895
Doesn't say whether the original building was demolished.

There is a picture of the new building here :
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1608597

Maggie
There's no place like home ......
Antie Em

Postby snoopysue » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:27 am

Thanks Antie Em

Does it say whether son Joseph took the pub over after Thomas's death in 1874?
I have him at the same address (27 Alma St), and the trade directories in 1880 have Josephs occupation as "Village Inn, Iron and Brass Founder", but no mention of the address being a pub on the 1881 Census.

Thomas was the brother of my 3rd gr grandfather on my paternal grandmothers side and Alma Street is just round the corner from Elwell Street (known to us as the Fellows Ghetto, but rapidly becoming the Fellows/Wearing Ghetto), where my 3rd gr grandfather on my paternal grandmothers side, amongst others, lived.
In 1871 Thomas had the pub, a John Fellows (my 2nd great grand uncle on my father's paternal side) had a shop in Elwell Street, and William Jinks (2nd gr grand uncle on my mother's side) also lived in Elwell Street. It seems likely that they would have known each other.
The Wearings were from West Bromwich, the Fellows from Rowley and the Jinks from Tamworth - strange that they all lived so close 90 years before all branches of the family would link up with my parents marriage!
My Dad says that when my grandparents met, the Fellows side of the family said "Ah, the Wearings - we know them!".
Snoopysue

snoopysue

Postby Antie Em » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:21 am

List of Licensees :

Thomas Wearing, 1861 - 1873
(No details between 1873 and 1892)
Lewin Ellis, 1892
Edwin Egginton, 1896
Ernest Morgan, 1912
Mrs Mary Gorton, 1916
Thomas Henry Towe, 1921
Wilfred Thomas Jinks, 1961 - 1964
Raymond Ducken, 1964 - 1965
Kenneth Montegue Cole, 1965 - 1966
Keith Joyce (No date)

Notes : Thomas Wearing was also a Brass and Iron Founder

Maggie
Antie Em

Postby snoopysue » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:53 pm

Thanks Antie Em

The entry in Kelly's trade directory1880 for Thomas' son Joseph is a little strange, as it records:
Wearing Joseph, Village Inn, & Brass Founder, Alma Street Mesty Croft
and is listed under the Commercial Section. On the 1881 Census, his occupation is listed as Moulder; in 1871 when living in Elwell Street he was listed as Iron Caster. Looking at other entries, all the pubs names are in italics, as is the Village Inn. I'm inclined to think that he was in the beer trade, but like his father before him, his primary employment was in a foundry (although I doubt if he was an employer).
Joseph came from a foundry family; his grandmother was the "Mary" in Mary Wearing and Sons, a firm that filed for bankrupcy a couple of times (not helped by one of his uncles possibly being an alcoholic!). His uncle George was the owner of the George Wearing Foundry in Carters Green.

I wonder if Wilfred Thomas Jinks is related to my lot?
Snoopysue

snoopysue

Postby Antie Em » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:57 pm

He could well have been licensee in 1880 Snoops, there is a gap in the records there, so I would go along with what the census says.

I also wondered about the Jinks connection, it might be worth researching him.
Antie Em

Postby snoopysue » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:48 pm

Antie Em wrote:He could well have been licensee in 1880 Snoops, there is a gap in the records there, so I would go along with what the census says.

I also wondered about the Jinks connection, it might be worth researching him.

I've had a quick look, and there is a William Thomas Jinks born in 1910, with a possible on the 1911 Census living in Addison Street, close to the Jinks I know are part of my family. It's not clear cut though, as they seem to be using middle names instead of first names, and ages seem slightly out.
I may follow it up later, as it's a bit off track - but it would be great if it was one of my lot.

In 1891 Lewis Ellis is the publican. Joseph has died before 1891, wife Sarah is living in Margate and the kids are all over the place.
Snoopysue

snoopysue

Return to Black Country Pubs