Memories of Fred Westwood

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass

Memories of Fred Westwood

Postby mallosa » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:39 am

Heard from Mark Evans (Australia) a connection of mine who tells me...

"Dad was sorry to see young Fred had died as dad used to play snooker with him in the rooms above a shop two doors away from the Shoulder of Mutton in Blackheath, the shop used to be Broadmeads(now homezone). Sometimes Polly Westwood would see Dad in the chip shop and get him to winkle out Fred from the snooker hall to do his duty and come and do the cooking, for this effort dad would get served first and get a free bag of bits.
He also has memories of the old coal fired chip fryer and the interior of the shop, plus other memories. I will get dad in the mood and try and record him as he is probably one of the last living links to that time"

http://bcconnections.tribalpages.com/fa ... ood-Family
If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
mallosa

Re: Memories of Fred Westwood

Postby mallosa » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:41 pm

Just realised this probably needs to be posted elsewhere - please feel free to move to the appropriate thread :oops:
If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
mallosa

Postby Rob » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:50 pm

My dad Horace was in the same class at Brittania Road "the New School" as Fred Westwood.
The snooker room above Burtons/Broadmeads was Rex Williams's.
Rob

Postby Margarett » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:39 pm

Do you mean Fred junior, Rob, who died in 1982? Or was it his Dad Fred senior that Mally was referring to? It's a bit confusing ( they are my family), as 2 of Fred and Polly senior's children were also Fred and Polly. Polly junior is still alive. She is 90 years old.
Margarett

Postby Rob » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:51 pm

My dad went to school with Fred junior born 1925.
Rob

Postby mallosa » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:54 pm

Hi Margaret, I was referring to Fred jnr born 1925 and died 1982.

I wonder if Mark's dad would remember any of his brothers and sister, I'll ask him :wink:

mallosa

Return to Famous, Infamous And Other Black Country Folk