Trace making

Moderators: admin, Northern Lass

Trace making

Postby Marchesgirl » Sat May 25, 2024 8:16 am

I have several ancestors in my tree (early 19th century) who give their ocupation as 'Trace Maker'. Many of their descendants are listed as chain makers. I believe that Trace makers made the chain that was used on the harnesses of draught and carriage horses but I can't find anything to confirm this. Any thoughts / references gratefully received.
Marchesgirl

Re: Trace making

Postby Jimmy » Sat May 25, 2024 8:38 am

Trace Maker/Tracer Worked in a draughting office, copying engineering diagrams, using tracing paper. In the days before photocopying, plans and diagrams for mining and manufacturing industries were copied by hand. It required accuracy, patience and a knack for using the pen without producing ink blots
Jimmy

Postby gardener » Sat May 25, 2024 3:58 pm

I'm sure that you are right. Traces could be either chain or leather, so if they were around the chainmaking community they probably made chain ones

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/no-se ... rs-needles

mentions the term but not much more, and this one is from the US I think and shows which bits of the tack they are

https://www.ruralheritage.com/new_rh_we ... tion.shtml
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Postby Jimmy » Sat May 25, 2024 5:18 pm

Also this.

A trace maker was an individual who worked in the field of harness making. Specifically, they crafted traces, which were leather straps or chains used to connect a horse’s harness to a vehicle, such as a cart or carriage. These traces helped distribute the pulling force evenly and allowed the horse to pull the load more efficiently. The occupation of a trace maker was essential during times when horse-drawn transportation was prevalent1. If you have any more questions or need further information, feel free to ask!
Jimmy

Postby Marchesgirl » Sat Jun 01, 2024 2:54 pm

Thank you both for your comments. Apologies for the delayed acknowledgement - Mum's been in hospital for 2 weeks and I've had my mind on other things. :roll:
Marchesgirl

Postby gardener » Sun Jun 02, 2024 3:07 pm

No problem! I hope your Mum is being well cared for
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Return to Black Country Industries