Suggestion

Got an idea for another forum? Or any other suggestions you'd like us to hear? Please feel free to post them here.

Moderator: admin

Suggestion

Postby Aussie_Brit » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:01 am

I would like to make a suggestion if I may.
For those of us who live OS. I wonder if we could have maps to show various areas of the UK?
eg: The Black Country...I have looked at the towns and villages but I am still in the dark as to where it actually is!
My ancestors came from Scotland and moved down through England finally settling in Essex. We have had mention of South Hetton and South Shields in the tree but where are these places? Maps would certainly be an invaluable tool.
Aussie_Brit

Re: Suggestion

Postby peterd » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:02 am

aussie brit go in to county infomation there maps under each county and for scotland, wales and northern ireland too
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby Jimmy » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:04 am

Just trying to do my bit for BCC, bringing families back together.
Jimmy

Postby Northern Lass » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:33 am

Aussie_Brit wrote:I would like to make a suggestion if I may.
For those of us who live OS. I wonder if we could have maps to show various areas of the UK?
eg: The Black Country...I have looked at the towns and villages but I am still in the dark as to where it actually is!
My ancestors came from Scotland and moved down through England finally settling in Essex. We have had mention of South Hetton and South Shields in the tree but where are these places? Maps would certainly be an invaluable tool.

Hi Aussie Britt as Pete says if you go to the Counties section and go to Worcestershire and Staffordshire we have added the following info about the Black Country area...

Other towns in the County of Staffordshire with regional dialect/accent etc :-

BLACK COUNTRY
an area that used to straddle Staffs, Worcs and in 1841 ish Shrops
Towns and villages in this area include as a guide only!.....parts of the city of Wolverhampton, and the towns of:
Bilston, Blackheath, Brierley Hill, Coseley, Cradley, Darlaston, Dudley, Gornal, Great Bridge, Halesowen, Lye, Netherton, Oldbury, Old Hill, Quarry bank, Rowley Regis, Sedgley, Stourbridge, Tipton, Walsall, Warley, Wednesbury, Wednesfield, West Bromwich, Willenhall, Wordsley.

Maps of the Black Country

About the Black Country - bit of info and some useful links

Black Country Dialect Dictionary

Dialect Dictionary of words 1

Dialect Dictionary of words 2

and this one is brill and the T. shirts aint bad either!

Black Country Alphabet song

Black Country Sayings/Phrases

Black Country Sayings

Black Country Speech-(actual spoken word/or songs in the accent and dialect)

well it sounds similar.... :oops:
Himley Staffs and this is near :oops:

Black Country Translation

Black Country Translation

Black Country Recipes

A selection of typical Black Country Fayre
Northern Lass

Postby Aussie_Brit » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:18 am

Thanks heaps for the links to the maps. I now have a better idea.
Aussie_Brit

Postby mallosa » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:32 pm

If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
mallosa

Postby Sarah_Carney » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:24 pm

Hello,

In the County sections you have Northern Ireland, but what about a section for the Republic of Ireland?

:D
Sarah_Carney

Postby mallosa » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:37 pm

:grin: I agree with you Sarah, perhaps I might be able to get further with my Mallon ancestors :wink:

PETERD!!
If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
mallosa

Postby peterd » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:08 pm

well it is uk genealogy do people want it expanded ? if we go with southern Ireland then where do we have a cut of point? Nowhere ?

you make the surgestion, admin can make the decision (me coward :lol: ) but if we had a section the rest of the world its getting people to contribute it took a lot of time just to put the county section together and it depends wheather there the bandwith and space to store that type of section its admin decision then we will see from there ?
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby mallosa » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:24 pm

Well Admin's bound to see this, so lets see what he says :wink:

mallosa

Postby Sarah_Carney » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:33 pm

I do see what you mean and technically you are right, but (l o l) before 1922 when most of our reaserch takes place, Ireland was as one and huge amounts of English family history researchers have 'Irish' ancestors, which at the time would have been one Country.

The Irish who left for Argentina, the USA, etc during the famine left via Liverpool etc and are on English passenger lists, and there were/are loads of Priests, Sisters, etc who were living in England as part of a College etc on the English census records.

If a whole section isn't started which is fair enough, maybe we could start a thread somewhere? :-)
Sarah_Carney

Return to Site Feedback and Suggestions