1911 - Ancestry

Discussion of Genealogy search sites, software, etc.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

1911 - Ancestry

Postby grangers14 » Mon May 30, 2011 6:40 pm

1911 Census - the first stage

Good news! As of right now, anyone with a full Ancestry.co.uk membership can see every page from the 1911 Census. If you're an Essentials, Premium or Worldwide member, you can start tracking down your family straight away in scanned record images from all over England, Wales, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands.

This is the first stage in our 1911 Census release. We've made all the scanned records available straight away, so you can benefit from them wherever your forebears were based.

At present, you can't search the records like our other censuses. Instead, you need to use other resources, such as the 1911 Summary Books and 1901 Census, to work out where your family were living, then browse the new census records by county and district. Find out how to do this.

We've already started transcribing the records so we can make them fully searchable as quickly as possible. We'll keep you updated on our progress and give you further release dates are soon as we can.
grangers14

Re: 1911 - Ancestry

Postby steverostill » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:48 am

i have a monthly premium subscription and can only see the summary records. do i need to upgrade to see the full records?
steverostill

Postby Loakesy » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:20 am

It took me about an hour, but I finally found my house! :P
Loakesy

Postby Loakesy » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:23 am

steverostill wrote:i have a monthly premium subscription and can only see the summary records. do i need to upgrade to see the full records?

On the Ancestry home page there is (was) a link to the 1911. They are available by to view enumeration district but are completely unsearchable, so you have to know the area you're looking at quite well to know where to look.

The summary pages seem to have disappeared from my search facility.
Loakesy

Postby Antie Em » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:25 pm

They should be shown at the top of your font page on Ancestry - Featured records on Ancestry.co.uk

Maggie
There's no place like home ......
Antie Em

Postby steverostill » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:11 am

ok,
i am getting somewhere slowly with this now.
the summary pages are still there to do a quick surname search and then if you select the area you are interested in from "included data collections" ie england you can select the area and enumeration district but as you say you need to know the area, not a problem.
however at first glance on my search the summary record enumeration district and sub district does not come up trumps when i select my area.
i will keep trying.
didnt help seeing a page from manchester and then realising it was the example.lol.
the pages are full of examples and blank pages and then a few records.

steve
steverostill

Postby Maths girl » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:42 am

steve

post what you are trying to find and let us see if we can give you more precise instructions.

Maths girl
Maths girl

Postby snoopysue » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:53 am

If it's proving hard to find on Ancestry, I have FMP and can look it up on there.
Snoopysue

Logic merely enables one to be wrong with authority.
snoopysue

Postby Loakesy » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:12 am

Searching my hometown (Bromley) was OK because I know it quite well and it's not massive. But a huge amount of my ancestors (from almost every branch) seemed to converge on the Bermondsey, Southwark & St Olave areas of London. I don't know these areas at all and there are about 45 enumeration districts for each. Each of these have between 65 and over 1000 pages.

I Think I'll wait until the Ancestry search facility is working, or seek help! :D
Loakesy

Postby Maths girl » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:30 pm

I am reminded of my thought of wondering why no-one has transcribed the descriptions of the enumeration distracts and released them --
Maths girl

Postby steverostill » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:21 pm

i agree maths girl. with the 1901 census i got a map and outlined each district onto the map using the description of the enumeration district.
anyway doing a search for my name rostill gives me half a dozen hits and for example miss rostill resides at 33 hallam street in balsall heath worcs , reg district number 2, sub reg district num 2, ed 5.
if you can give me instructions how to find the original image would be most grateful and then i can iterate it to the other rostill hits.

lovely job, lol
steverostill

Postby Maths girl » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:50 pm

steverostill wrote:i agree maths girl. with the 1901 census i got a map and outlined each district onto the map using the description of the enumeration district.
anyway doing a search for my name rostill gives me half a dozen hits and for example miss rostill resides at 33 hallam street in balsall heath worcs , reg district number 2, sub reg district num 2, ed 5.
if you can give me instructions how to find the original image would be most grateful and then i can iterate it to the other rostill hits.

lovely job, lol

Ok This is not an exact science but try this -- the clue seems to be in the Househole schedule number on Miss Rostill's info page -- 377

Follow

1911 Census summary books -- scroll down and find 1911 Census (possibly with a big green NEW next to it_-

Click England census

Then drop down menus -
Worcestershire
Balsall Heath
ED 5

As far as I can tell these are now set out as roughly a front page and a census page -- so (if you are like me you grab a calculator at this point!) -- double Household Schedule number 377 x 2 = 754 -- type this into box next to image number and check the Household census number in the top right hand corner -- in this case I had to move two images forward to find Miss Rostill!

Try it --I am going out now but will be back later -- when I can
either
try another one to see if I can refine the procedure
or
use FMP to look them up for you!

HTH
Maths girl
Maths girl

Postby snoopysue » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:02 pm

I can look up on FMP :-)
Snoopysue

Logic merely enables one to be wrong with authority.
snoopysue

Postby Maths girl » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:14 pm

snoopysue wrote:I can look up on FMP :-)

Yes and it is definitely easier than Ancestry at the moment
Maths girl

Postby steverostill » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:39 pm

i have thrown up 5 ancestors of interest of which i have found 4 using your method so thanks for that.
there is a fifth i am having difficulty with and they are listed in st thomas birmingham court 2 vere street but there is no enumeration district listed as st thomas just all saints, lady woon (sic) st georges and st martins.
i tried your method for all saints but found nothing.
any suggestion maths girl please.
steverostill

Next

Return to Software