Census Day-Free Ancestry

Discussion of Genealogy search sites, software, etc.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Census Day-Free Ancestry

Postby Maths girl » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:53 am

Hiya all just seen a notice that says Ancestry is free for today census day --- I subscribe so can't check it out but it could be an opportunity for those who do not subscribe to see what is available
Maths girl

Re: Census Day-Free Ancestry

Postby SRD » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:17 am

It looks like it's census info only, and not for 1911.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Postby linell » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:28 am

Ancestry don't have the 1911 only Find My Past.

Linell.
linell

Postby SRD » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:52 am

However, I've registered and each time I try to 'view page' I get taken to the 'sign up for 14 day free trial' page so it looks like it's only free to paying members. I haven't looked up the T&Cs, but from this evidence it looks like a con.
SRD

Postby Antie Em » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:12 am

SRD wrote:However, I've registered and each time I try to 'view page' I get taken to the 'sign up for 14 day free trial' page so it looks like it's only free to paying members. I haven't looked up the T&Cs, but from this evidence it looks like a con.

I think you do have to register, but I don't think you have to pay - only if you want to join after the 14 days.
There's no place like home ......
Antie Em

Postby grangers14 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:17 am

Ancestry often have 14 days free trial. Its not a con, more like getting you more hooked! :lol:
If you use the trial you must read how to cancel and do it word for word or you will end up paying.
Jo :)
grangers14

Postby SRD » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:31 am

The strong implication from the opening page is easy, free access to census details, that isn't the case, one has to register, just as one does normally, and then one gets 14 days free anyway (at least the advertising suggests as much), so it's no different to the normal state of affairs, not some special offer, hence my opinion that it's a con designed to get people to sign on, and no doubt some of those will forget to de-register within the specified period and get charged for a service they don't want. I note the company is registered in Luxembourg, where customer protection is considerably less than in the UK, I will however be complaining to Trading Standards.
SRD

Postby gardener » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:39 pm

It is a bit mis-leading but you just need to register and then you get access to the index data i.e. age, birth place, and who else is in the household. If you have not already got the info then it could help you a lot, up to the point of wanting to see the actual image. I don't think it is a con, just a marketing ploy.
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Postby Antie Em » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:54 pm

Ancestry have worked like this for years. When they first started, it was difficult to get your money back if you decided not to continue after the two weeks - but it must be OK now, otherwise the site wouldn't be so popular.
Antie Em

Postby mallosa » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:43 pm

Personally, I've found Ancestry very obliging
When their site went down for a few hours, they contacted me to tell me they had credited me with an extra day, I hadn't contacted them :grin:
If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
mallosa

Postby Antie Em » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:02 pm

mallosa wrote:Personally, I've found Ancestry very obliging
When their site went down for a few hours, they contacted me to tell me they had credited me with an extra day, I hadn't contacted them :grin:

Yes - they did that with me too. I've had a subscription to Ancestry now since they started and have never had any problems.
Antie Em

Postby MarkCDodd » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:27 pm

They just gave me a 20% discount so I love them to bits!

Now if only they would make the library licence we have for AIGS a bit cheaper....
Black Holes happen when God divides by zero.
MarkCDodd

Postby snoopysue » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:44 pm

I've been on Ancestry for a couple of years now, I'm quite happy with their service! :grin:
Snoopysue

Logic merely enables one to be wrong with authority.
snoopysue

Return to Software